Join now - be part of our community!

Alpha 6000 screen

SOLVED
Normski4ash
Explorer

Alpha 6000 screen

Transfering from Canon DSLR {4 of them} to mirrorless. Have bought an A6000 to see how I like it before moving on to A7 series.

I went out on Saturday with both the A6000 (my partner had it) and a 5d MkIII. We didn't use the back screen as it was so bright you couldn't see it, turned it off in settings. Managed to take 146 pictures during the day (well half of it) before the battery expired.

The Canon however took over 900 shots and was still going strong when we headed home after a full day.

My question is, is there any way to turn the screen off to preserve battery, or do I have to buy 2 or 3 more batteries to cope with a full days shoot.

If more batteries is the case then the small light option I have gone for is not much smaller or lighter than the Canon with all the extra batteries I will have to carry.

No point in changing all my gear if that is the case ! OK there are features on it that are better than the Canon, but there are several that aren't. For instance I have programmed C1 for the AF mode so my partner can switch to face detection, (shame the Eye AF isn't in that bit with or instead of smiley face gimmick) and C2 to turn the back screen on and off to preserve battery. But have to go wading through thousands of menu items to get to manual focus if the AF is focusing on the wrong thing, which I have found very annoying after only one week. Intelligent auto focus, Dumb would be a better word, I've gone back to centre spot, like I use on the Canon.

Sorry to be so negative, but I am sure that Sony could alter this so you can turn off the back screen completely if you want to, through a firmware update. Which I am reading won't work on OS X Yosemite. Come on Sony catch up...

Thnx,  Normski

10 REPLIES 10
Normski4ash
Explorer

Oh well don't seem to be able to get an answer to the problem. There are so many people asking for the same thing & Sony obviously don't care. Gonna bin the camera and go back to my DSLR. It may be bigger and heavier, but the view through the view finder is so much better and true to life than the Sony, the picture quality is ten times better, the lenses and equipment I can get for it is much greater and far superior.

For a moment I thought Canon & Nikon were wrong to drag there heelsa bout mirrorless, now I think they are wrong to even bother making them...

Anyone want to buy a crap camera, not had much use, not going to get much more use,

Disappointed & deflated.

On the plus side, Sony asked me to review the camera, and I slated it and they published it, let others know it's not worth the money, thnx & goodnight