Join now - be part of our community!

HDR AS15 Question

SOLVED
profile.country.IE.title
Fuaimador
New

HDR AS15 Question

Is it possible to suppily power to as15 action cams via USB & shoot / record video at the same time ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

HDR-AS10_AS15_handbook_USB power supply.jpg

When connecting the camera to a computer or USB device with the micro USB cable (supplied), the camera can be set so the connected device supplies power to it. Set USB Power to ON in the Setup menu. Power may not be supplied properly from a USB device with a power supply capacity of less than 1.5 A.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello fuaimador - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

When you connect a device over a USB connection, the connection is less powerful than connecting the camera directly to the mains. Although it is sufficient for charging, it will not usually be powerful enough to run directly from a USB lead. For this reason, it will not allow you to record video and take pictures while it is attached to a USB power source.

Thanks,

Simon

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

I have tried using a USB mains adaptor but since they are generally specific to a phone or device, not really had much luck with it nor is it worth pushing with testing with higher voltages since it could lead to damage.

The way these things have been designed is ideally to be used within the housing where in which it can be used underwater etc so the idea of having a cable attached at the same time is more left to the larger cameras.

I would just grab a few extra batteries since they are not that expensive but if doing something like a time lapse, I guess need to be quick and careful as to not interrupt the scene.

profile.country.IE.title
Fuaimador
New

Thanks Guys for the replys..... perhaps I should explain the set up. I have 3 AS15's each with a 32 gig card & I am using them to shoot music events in pubs / clubs. Ideally I would like to start each recording before the perfomance begins & not have to go near the cameras until the gig is over, as it stands the battery life is giving me about 70% of a show & it is not always possible to change batteries mid gig due to the position of the cameras, and as most musicians keep their best 'til last this is proving to be a problem. I also should have said in my original question "Mains USB adaptor " Thanks for your help so far.........Here is a link to the results from the setup with 3 AS15's, low light is a bit of a p roblem...but then again it adds to the atmosphere : -)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h-aYNC__5w

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

That is actually a really neat idea. Rather than large camera in everyones way, that makes way more sense. I like the lighting and how its been captured so will be sharing that :). Was any of that changed when it came to editing?

The only thing I can think of like you have mentioned is a mains adaptor however I cannot see how it will work. Some of the other sony products do have a dummy battery with a mains cable attached but usually there is a little notch in the casing to allow the cable to come through. Since the back end of the action cam is closed in order to access or operate the features, might not be something that is possible with this model. Maybe future versions but it is a good ppoint.

profile.country.IE.title
Fuaimador
New

Thanks for getting back & your comments.....The only adjustments were colour balance on each camera in Final Cut which didn't do a lot & then I used "match colour" to try and make each camera at least look the same....for the moment I think three spare batteries are the best opotion & hope for an internission, 3 powered cams would be the business ...having said that I would be happy scoring a notch into the body of the cameras & cabeling a blank battery if this would do the trick.........Thanks again & please share as I would like to see the cameraphone stuff that normally is presented on youtube a thing of the past ....All the best

Message was edited by: Fuaimador

Mick2011
New

Action cams need 1500mA to run under their own steam, and you normally only get about 500mA from a typical PC-based USB connection, so that won't work.

It's not an officially-endorsed solution but you might be able to use a Sony 'wall wart'-type battery charger, which gives the higher output and comes with a USB terminal.

I'm thinking of this product, which optionally switches to USB 5V 1500mA http://www.sony.co.uk/product/dcc-batteries---chargers/bc-trx

Maybe worth a try :thinking:

Cheers

Mick

Really cool idea btw.. great sound too :thumbsup:

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

HDR-AS10_AS15_handbook_USB power supply.jpg

When connecting the camera to a computer or USB device with the micro USB cable (supplied), the camera can be set so the connected device supplies power to it. Set USB Power to ON in the Setup menu. Power may not be supplied properly from a USB device with a power supply capacity of less than 1.5 A.

profile.country.IE.title
Fuaimador
New

Thank You Mick2001 & cmosse.....I think you have solved the problem : -)))