Join now - be part of our community!

downloading videos from mini-DV cassette

profile.country.el_GR.title
eirinilachana
Visitor

downloading videos from mini-DV cassette

Hi!!! How can I download my videos from a mini-DV cassette (DCR-HC85E HANDYCAM) to computer or DVD??

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi there, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

With most modern systems you need to use a firewire cable like this and a firewire port or card on your PC. You would then use video editing software to handle the download and conversion.

Alternatively you can make an analogue connection to a DVD recorder, although quality isn't so great.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Mick

profile.country.el_GR.title
eirinilachana
Visitor

Thanks!! So, how do I ask this cable at the store?? Sorry for being completely ignorant!!!! I mostly use my digital camera, but I have a lot of videos in miniDV cassettes, including my best friend's graduation from like 5 years ago, and should give it to her sometime!:smileyconfused:

I've purchased a firewire cable to download DV tape videos to my HP laptop but there is no ilink port on an HP. Is there some sort of adaptor to connect to the sort of posts a HP Envy 15 has. Not sure what they all are but looks like USB and HDMI, audio output and an SD card.

Also is it possible to transfer videos using the mini USB lead (if not, what was the point of it?)

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi there ,

if your camera can play the mini-DV-casettes inside the camera and output them to a TV via S-Video or component, you can use this video grabber+software to convert your mini-DV videos into a file on your PC:

http://www.magix.com/gb/rescue-your-videotapes/

I hope my reply was helpful.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
fredcase
Explorer

The HP envy dv7 notebook has no facility for a firewire to connect my Sony DCR-HC62 camcorder.  How can I connect them?

Thanks