Join now - be part of our community!

From camcorder to PC

Mrsb51016
New

From camcorder to PC

Hi,

My sister in Law filmed my wedding on her Sony Handycam DCR-HC51E. She went to transfer the footage from the camcorder to the computer and realised that the camcorder had an express card instead of a usb so was unable to connect the camcorder to the laptop as her laptop doesnt have an express card slot. She went into several computer shops and was told that she would not be able to extract the camera footage so basically there is not point trying.

As this is my wedding, i decided to take a look.

I found details of the express card and found the usb equivalent but when i plug this into my computer it says that the usb is not recognised

i have followed instructions and downloaded playmemories but it still does not seem to work?

I have a Lenovo Ideapad z500 which has windows 10....can anyone help?

Chenelle

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Mrsb51016 and welcome.

This camcorder has only two ways of exporting video to a computer.

1. Using a DV cable (also known as Firewire or iLink). I am guessing this is what you are referring to as an 'expresscard'. This is the best way if it is possible as the video is exported in digital form, which your computer uses, and so the signal does not have to go through one or two conversion processes. Of course you need a DV/Firewire/iLink socket on your PC, which you don't have. Many hard disc video recorders do have a DV input, so it is worth checking your TV Video Recorder which may have the correct connection and allow the video to be transferred to its hard drive and then to a DVD.

2. The only other way is to use the A/V cable supplied with the camcorder (if your sister-in-law still has it). This A/V cable connects to the camcorder (socket bottom right on back if camcorder) and has 3 coloured plugs on the other end red/white/yellow.

You will then need to buy an inexpensive video capture device which will then connect to the USB socket on your PC. You can buy these video capture devices for as much as you want to pay (£10 to £50) - make sure the one you get is Windows 10 compatible. Here is one example:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-software-compatible-processing-post-processing/dp/B00XHOHRPW/ref=sr_1_1...

This second way is your best bet and again, the red/white/yellow plugs will usually also connect to a video recorder. There are other possibilities like playing the tape on a stand alone tape deck but these old decks are not easy to come by.

Good Luck

PS - here is the A/V cable if the original has been lost:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Audio-Video-Cables/Neewer-Cable-Cord-Sony-Handycam-Camcorder-Vmc-15Fs/B00...

profile.country.ES.title
jacosesony
New

Why my DCR-HC51E worked properly through ilink->FireWire->PC (Windows XP SP2), and now whith a supposed faster PC (Windows 8.1) it doesn`t recognice the camcorder?

I'm using the same procedur: ilink->FireWire->PC

I'm using the same video capturer software even your software (Play Memories).

But anything a do is lost.

I've taken my camcorder and PC to my usual computer shop. They checked the FireWire was installed properly, it was OK. The cheched import video with other software and the problem was the same: PC doesn't recognise the camcorder.

I've benn looking for some solutions on your webs but nothing useful. It seems to be a solution for some camcorders in:

http://sony-eur-eu-es-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/140473

but no for my model.

What can I do now. What Sony did for not allow continuing working with Windows 8.1. I understand nothing. I'm desperate. Lots of mini DV cassetes to edit. I need a solution please, with good quality: ilink much more better than S-Video.

Thanks a lote.