Join now - be part of our community!

How to add new apps on my linux sony bravia kdl-40w650d

profile.country.GB.title
mbolarlala
New

How to add new apps on my linux sony bravia kdl-40w650d

I bought new kdl-40w650d last week without knowing it is non android TV. Please help how can I add more apps than Youtube, Netflix, opera browser, radio?

I am disappointed for  my TV.

please help.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @mbolarlala,

I would suggest to purchase an Amazon Fire TV stick, Roku TV, Google Chromecast or an Apple TV.

Alternatively a Blu-Ray player with app support also works like e.g. the Sony UBP-X800m2.

- Nic

profile.country.PL.title
alexbat
New

Hey mbolarlala,

I feel your frustration, mate. So, your Sony Bravia isn't playing nice with third-party apps, huh? Been there. Luckily, there's a workaround.

First off, grab a USB drive and format it to FAT32. Now, hit up the Sony support site. Look for your TV model and download the latest firmware. Chuck that onto the USB.

Plug that into your TV and hit up 'Settings.' Scroll down to 'System Preferences' and select 'Software Update.' Should pick up the USB, and voila! Firmware updated.

Now, for apps. Head to your TV's 'Opera' browser, search for an APK mirror site. Download your desired apps APK on a computer, toss it onto the USB.

Back to the TV. Install a file manager from the Opera store. Locate your APK on the USB, install, and boom! You've just given your Bravia a new lease on life.

Hope this helps, mate.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @alexbat,

it is a NON Android TV.

Please read the post.

- Nic