Join now - be part of our community!

3d signal

profile.country.GB.title
yorkie_browser
New

3d signal

Hi,

The hdmi out connection on my str-dg820amp will not recognise a3d signal,how do I connect it to the tv,blu-ray,virginhd box, so that I can watch a 3d film? I really don't want to buy a new amp just yet.

Thanks for any help, which will be appreciated.

yorkie -browser

Message was edited by: yorkie_browser

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

That particular amp can't pass through a 3D signal unfortunately, so you'd have to connect the Blu-ray directly to the TV to watch 3D.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
yorkie_browser
New

HI,

thanks for your reply. I.have already used the connection you suggest, and was hoping for better, more convenient way round the problem, looks like a new receiver then. Happy New Year.

Catmambo
Contributor

I guess you could use an optical cable from BD to the amp in the short term. When playing a BD, this will only get DTS sound  as optical doesn't have enough bandwidth to support the HD sound, so  any BD that has at least DTSHD or DD TrueHD will only be played in DTS  or DD as far as I know.

Otherwise an HDMI splitter that supports HDMI v1.4 may also do the job?

Thanks

maselby84
Visitor

Hmmm.  I thought that an HDMI1.4 Splitter might solve this issue with my STR-DH800.  Sadly not.  It seems that the BDP-S470 still sees that there is an HDMI-1.3 device connected and refuses to play 3D.  I'm not sure if this is a via a communication from the AV RX of if the splitter is somehow defaulting to the lowest common denominator.  It's very frustrating since the V RX isn't even 2 years old yet.  To be told that having just upgrarded the TV and Blu-Ray player that the only real solution, without degrading audio performance, is to buy another RX.  Especially since, the RX is just a passthrough switch and electrically is perfectly capable of carrying the signal!