Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S7200 outputting 4k????

profile.country.GB.title
smiffy2

BDP-S7200 outputting 4k????

Hi there

I don't know if anyone can help but I have the above mentioned Blu ray player connected to my KD-49X8309C television via an HT-CT380 sound bar.

I have set the output on my player to "Auto 2" which, according to the instruction manual (and the on screen prompt), should mean I am outputting everything at 4k.

When I play a Blu ray disc, and press the info button on my player, it is indicating 4k in the top left hand corner of the screen, (which it wasn't doing when I had the player just set to "Auto"), but I am not noticing any difference at all with regards picture quality on the television as to how it was when indicating 1080p.

Are they any other adjustments that I should be making please?

Many thanks in advance for any pointers you can give me.

Rob

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

There are currently no 4K players or physical media on the market as of yet (expected announcements at CES 2016).  This player 'upscales' 1080p content to 4K TVs.  So not 4K in the true sense.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
smiffy2

Thanks for the response Quinnicus.

Whilst I appreciate that it's not going to be 4k in the truest sense, should there be a discernible difference between an upscaled 4k picture and a "standard" 1080p one though?

As I say, I cannot notice any difference at all with the picture I am now getting compared to my previous LG player and cheap(ish) Samsung TV.

The only 4k I have watched are bits and pieces on YouTube (I don't have Netflix or Amazon Prime) and the difference is night and day....absolutely awesome.

I'm just a little disappointed that I don't appear to have gained anything from getting the new player over and above my old LG system.

Am I expecting too much???

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im a bit biased in my opinion to be honest.  However its all about screen size and viewing distance is where 4k is concerned.  The larger the tv and the closer you sit is where you will really notice the difference in 4K and even the upscaling.  But it also depends on the source - if its a poor 1080p source, the upscaling will magnify the imperfections.  However, in general Sonys upscaling on poor 1080p sources is better than the competition as it does have a very good processing capabilities due to the X1 processor of Sonys

4K will come into its own when true 4K content comes out, and a HDR standard agreed.

This article may explain things better:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs-and-upscaling-compared

profile.country.GB.title
smiffy2

That's brilliant Quinnicus and very much appreciated.

Just have to wait for the 4k discs to start rolling out, although I'll need another player. Not going to be cheap are they?

Thanks again

Rob

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@Anonymous

Forgive me if I've got the wrong end of the stick (it's late and I'm tired) but I saw some 4K movies only the other day. A quick search on Amazon also reveals several Mastered in 4K Blu-ray movies.

See this link: Mastered in 4K Movies

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there @MK_Slinky

Mastered in 4K is simply a marketing term.  The original source is from a 4K resolution or greater, but its still a 1080p video.

Ill find a link that explains it

Edit:

http://www.ultrahdtv.net/articles/mastered-in-4k/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/what-is-mastered-in-4k-and-does-it-make-a-difference

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/sony-mastered-in-4k-blu-rays-a-mixed-blessing/

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Spoil sport!

I was feeling quite smug with myself but now I'm more confused than usual, LOL!!!

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sony's explaination.  Just remember you also need the tv too :wink:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43225/~/what-does-it-mean-when-a-blu-ray-disc-movi...

_20151216_021604.JPG

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Thanks chap!

I see we use the same sources for our material, I just read the one on CNet. It looks like I made the same mistake discussed in their article then. Yes I can see this will cause plenty of confusion.

So in summary 4K is soley a resolution thing. Maybe that's why the other member said the YouTube content was clearer? I know from my own experience that my computer monitor is higher resolution than my TV.