Join now - be part of our community!

Can I connect MDR-HW700DS headphones to the HDMI OUT B/HDMI ZONE output of my STR-DN1060?

profile.country.GB.title
Cphewitt
Explorer

Can I connect MDR-HW700DS headphones to the HDMI OUT B/HDMI ZONE output of my STR-DN1060?

I'd like to connect the processor of the headphones to my av amp simply using a single HDMI cable. Would connecting to the HDMI zone output give me access to whatever is currently playing through the amp?

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have had a look into your setup and have come to the conclusion of... I have absolutely no idea!

If you have the equipment already, why not just try it and see.  

Im assuming it is already connected up as per instructions HERE?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Cphewitt
Explorer

Thanks for replying.

My purchase of the headphones sort of depends on whether I can connect as I enquired. 

Perhaps my prejudice against passing audio/visual signals through numerous connections unnecessarily is lodged in the analogue domain?

Do you think I would see a degradation in picture quality connecting as suggested in the instructions you linked to?

markalexis
Explorer

Strangely I just got the STR-DN1060 today and came here for help with another problem :slight_smile:

But I have the MDR-HW700DS already and I use this setup: http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/hw700ds/v1/en/contents/02/01/07/07.html

So the headphones are between the STR-DN1060 and the TV, with all inputs going into the STR-DN1060. I was originally going to try connecting the headphones to the HDMI OUT B output but I haven't yet - I realised that with that connection it would not be possible to easily see the graphical menu that the headphones overlay on the video display - although I guess you could maybe hook an output from the headphones to a different input on the TV just to view it.

I haven't done any full testing yet but the basics seem to work ok so far (watching Sky TV) and I used the same setup for my old receiver. Note that to get the HDMI sync to work for the very first time (to a Sony TV) it seems you have to first connect the STR-DN1060 to the TV directly and make sure it is working, and only after that insert the headphones between the STR-DN1060 and the TV. I don't think the audio return works which is why you need the audio optical cables from the TV back to the headphones and then back to the STR-DN1060.

I'll report back if I see any problems once I've tried more options, or if I try connecting to the HDMI OUT B (although it's potentially useful to keep that free for other things anyway).

profile.country.GB.title
Cphewitt
Explorer

Thanks for the input markalexis, I too just took a delivery today, my headphones!!

I thought I'd get them and have a play. I've connected to the HDMI zone output of my 1060. I've also connected the Zone2 analogue output from the 1060 to the analogue inputs of the  'phones processor. My CD player is connected to the 1060 analogue inputs and these cannot be routed to the HDMI zone output.

To make settings on the 1060 I've installed Sony's Songpal app on my tablet, so much easier to switch zone power on/off and change sources.

All's well listening to the CD but I cannot get any sound from the HDMI zone output. No matter what source I select.

As the 'phones processor is really just taking an audio output from the 1060 I can't see how the HDMI control setting should affect this but I understand the ARC function doesn't work unless HDMI control is enabled. Maybe the processor doesn't recognise the audio input without control on?

Need further experimentation!

markalexis
Explorer

Aha great! They are cool headphones by the way :slight_smile:

I've just been testing the headphones connected to the HDMI OUT B as I got curious as well. I managed to get them to work but with one annoying problem. This is what I did:

1) Turn on the HDMI Zone power in zone settings

2) Set the Audio Out option to TV+AMP in the HDMI settings

If the HDMI output is set to A+B or B then I was getting sound from the headphones. It also worked connecting the headphones output to another TV input in order to view the headphones menu overlay if I wished to see it.

Now the annoying problem: whenever you change the HDMI Output (A -> A+B -> B -> off -> A) then it forgets whatever setting you have made to the Audio Out option so you have to go and change it back to TV+AMP in order to get sound from the headphones again. (Also if you change the receiver off & on).

markalexis
Explorer

Ah reading the manual more I see there is a difference between using HDMI OUT B as HDMI OUT B or using it as the HDMI Zone. There is a HDMI setting to change it between the 2 ways it works. I haven't tried the HDMI Zone version - that may well work better than the way I tried and may not need the TV+AMP audio out setting. But I don't have access to the SongPal app for controlling zones (wish I did :slight_smile: )

profile.country.GB.title
Cphewitt
Explorer

Well, I think I've tried each and every combination of settings and inputs and no joy :slight_frown:

Both the HDMI OUT B setting and the HDMI Zone resulted in silence from the TV unless the processor was connected via the optical inout. Setting HDMI control on/off made no difference.

Setting the 1060 to HDMI Zone disables the HDMI Control and therefore the ARC function.

I've now connected as the instructions connection example 3. Everything works ok. No discernable degradation in image quality having to go through the processor.

Fortunately I can still use the Zone 2 co-ax output from the 1060 to listen to my CD whilst my other half watches tv. Audio quality is very good from the 'phones. 

I'd still be intrested if anyone discovers a way to utilise the HDMI Zone without having to reconfigure the 1060 at every change of listening mode...

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Have any of you guys tried connecting a pair of USB headphones to the front USB socket?

My iPod works on the USB socket so I can't see why not.

Perhaps I'll try my own USB headphones myself later today and see.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
vitobud
New

hi

can I use this type of setup between HW700DS and AV in order to connect the HW700DS to a soundbar, TV box and game console?

many thanks