Join now - be part of our community!

*** Sony BDV-E370 Surround System "PINK DISPLAY"

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

*** Sony BDV-E370 Surround System "PINK DISPLAY"

Hi Guys

I need a quick fix for my BDV-E370 5.1 Home Cinema Player.

We have had the player for well over 5 years and it's always connected to a Sony TV.  The last TV was the 55HX853 and the player always worked fine.

We got a new Sony 65XE7003 4K/UHD and yesterday I set up the TV with HDMI cables on HDMI 1 (SKY Q), HDMI 2 (Apple TV) and HDMI 3 ARC (Sony BDV E370 Surround Sound).  

All of the inputs were then named and each time I chose an input, the appropriate home screen for that device appeared.  Everything was fine.

This evening we decided to watch "SULLY" on the e370 but as soon as the disc spun up, this display was "pink"?  I last played SULLY about 3 weeks ago and have not touched e370 until tonight.

Sky TV on HDMI 1 and Apple TV on 2, are working fine with no display problems.

This has NEVER happened before!  Can anyone advise me on what is happening with our Sony e370?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

Can you try another/different HDMI cable - this type of issue is normally attributed to the cable itself and resolved by replacing it.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus

Thanks for your reply.

I can't remember if I said in my first post but, the BDV-E370 is connected to my new KD-65XE7003 using an HDMI cable on HDMI 3 (ARC) because as both devices support ARC, both video and sound can use the same cable so, theres no need for me to use 2 cables and the 5.1 sounds works great.

With reference to the 'pink screen on the E370, we have had the home theatre for well over 5 + years and I've never seen that happen before. I bought three new UHD HDMI cables yesterday and connected our Sky Q box to HDMI 1, Apple TV to HDMI 2 and, as above the E370 on HDMI 3.

We put Sully on the E370 player and as the disc spun up, we got a pink display and no sound; I could not understand why.  After a bit of googling, I went into settings for the E370 and for some reason, the setting wasn't on RGB so I changed that.  I then changed the screen size from 42" to 65".  There was someting else but I can't remember.

Anyway, the pink screen disappeared and the display went back to normal so, I'm guessing that, what with the larger 65" TV screen, the resolution was knocked out of sync and also the RGB setting.

So the E370 is working fine now but, I am thinking as it getting a bit old, I might upgrade to a newer Sony home theatre with 4k upscaling and built in wireless for about £209.00. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Intersting.  I wouldnt have picked that. 

A couple of things:

• Screen size only matters for 3D TV's - yours isnt 3D so that shouldnt have mattered.
  • RGB - It should have worked on YCbCr 4:2:2 - I dont see why this wouldnt work.  Have a read of this : HERE

I think this is the setting that you changed that would have worked - 'HDMI Deep Colour'.  You probably turned this OFF instead of auto or 12/10 bit.

Although I agree - The BDV-E370 came out in 2010.  You have totally new TVs with new techology - a few more £££ might do you a world of good.

Also, when purchasing new TVs and Audio, always allow approx 5-10% in the budget for extras.  Cables and what nots.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus

UPDATE to my earlier reply below!

Well, I went into the settings of my E370 Home Theatre and changed the setting the one you recommended - YCbCr 4:2:2 - and the display immediately turned pink.  I also tried the other 'similar' setting and the display turned a slightly darker pink!

* So I changed it back to RGB and, my display was normal again!

* The HDMI Deep Colour setting was already on AUTO!

Maybe there is a fault with my 6 to 7 year old Home Theatre Player?

So, although my E370 appears to be normal again, I am thinking of upgrading to the BDV-2100 which I hope is at least on a par with my E370, or better?

Previous reply today:

Thanks for your reply which made some very interesting points.

Reference the screen size, I wasn't saying that adjusting it from 40 something inches, helped sort the pin screen issue; I just noticed that it was set on 40 something inches so I changed it to 65".

With regard to RGB, as I previously said, when I got the pink screen, I googled the fault and remembered seeing some guy with the same problem tried the two other settings which, for him, didn't work so he chose RGB and, bingo, problem solved!

When I was in the E370 settings, one of the other settings was enabled but, can't remember so I chose RGB and it worked pink screen gone, display and performance normal but, I will try your recommended YCbCr 4:2:2 setting to rule it in, or out and I'll post back the result!  I'll also have a look through the limk you've included.

Quote: I think this is the setting that you changed that would have worked - 'HDMI Deep Colour'.  You probably turned this OFF instead of auto or 12/10 bit.

I remember seeing the 'HDMI Deep Colour' setting but I don't remember altering it from what it was but, when I go back into the E370 settings, I'll have a look.

To sum up, choose the YCbCr 4:2:2 setting, leave 'HDMI Deep Colour' on AUTO or 12/10 bit (are both of these available and, if so, which  one is best, 12 or 10 bit)?  Please confirm these are your recommnded setting and I'll try them out later today.

Reference updating my E370, it's performed really, really well over the last 6 years or so, with 5.1 surround sound and a sub woofer!  I don't want to spend £300 to £400 or more on a replacement but I'll happily spend the £209.00 for the BDV-2100 as shown on the Sony website; it's got upscaling (but from what you've said, theres not much point) and wireless & bluetooth. It also has 3D feature but, would our TV also have to support 3D???

As long as it has Dolby Pro (or Plus) and 5.1 surround sound and sub woofer.

BTW, Our present E370 cost about £340 when new!  It would be nice to know how the BDV-2100 compares against the BDV-E370?