Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDV-N590 doesnt connect via HDMI to sony bravia TV

Sony BDV-N590 doesnt connect via HDMI to sony bravia TV

Hi There
I have a ;
Sony BDV-N590 and it will no longer function through the HDMI to a Sony Bravia 2007 KDL-46V2500 TV. It stopped working recently completely but has always been intermittent, sometimes needing switching OFF and ON again at power socket.
My Sony Playstation and my Humax will however individually function every time via HDMI AV 4 or AV 5 on the Sony Bravia TV
Also the Sony BDV-N590 will happily function via HDMI to my LG 42" TV even with the same cable etc
Not sure where to go from here?
All appears to work individually but when I combine the Sony TV with the Sony Home cinema it fails every time to function through HDMI. I have done factory reset etc. What is it doing when it is Sony product to Sony product that doesnt happen with LG product to Sony product? Is there a 'Handshake' that is trying to be cleaver that is failing?
Please help

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

What you have failed to mention is how you have connected this up to the TV.  If you have only connected the HDMI cable from the HDMI Out port on the N590 system, then this will not work.  This is because your TV does not support HDMI-ARC functions.  You will need to connect an optical cable from the TV to the N590 as well as keeping the HDMI cable in place.

If you have the optical cable already, ensure that it is connected correctly (ie it will 'click' into place).  Also worth ensuring that the optical cable works ?   Also ensure that the settings on the TV are correct.

Give that ago.  If all thats correct, we'll go through other settings.  But please, need more info on how everything is connected.

Cheers

HI there and many thanks for your input.

To offer more detail,

• I am simply just connecting via HDMI the two devices (Sony BDV-home cinema and Sony TV) I am sending my Humax Freesat and Playstation to the two HDMI Inputs on the BDV.... No optical connection 
  • I have had this device connected this way for nearly 2 years, experiencing infrequent intermittent loss of connection when switching devices until now where I have lost it all together.
  • This fault though, coincided with while using my Playstation and connecting a 'steering wheel simulator' controller for a driving game to the controller input on the front of it. There has been no problem with the Playstation and it continues to work with this 'steering wheel' device while connected to my Sony TV directly via HDMI, but not through the BDV.......Just thought it might be relevant to describe the point of failure, as it was all working fine and being used at the time it went off-line.
  • My Sony KDL-46V2500 TV doesn't have an optical IN.
  • On my LG tv in the bedroom it connects happily this way.... Although in trying different things I have set the video out from 'AUTO' to '1080i' so I now cant see anything on the LG to test anything else lol..... The VIDEO out no longer transmits as a result also ! 😞
  • The instructions on the BDV-N590 also state;

When you make connection A (which is HDMI ONLY)
This connection can send both video and audio signals.
• Video signals from the HDMI (IN 1/2) jacks are sent to the HDMI (OUT) jack only when the “HDMI1” or
“HDMI2” function is selected.
• To send an audio signal from the HDMI (IN 1/2) jacks to the HDMI (OUT) jack, you may need to change the audio
output setting. For details, see [Audio Output] in [Audio Settings] (page 40).
• You can change the audio input of a component that is connected to the HDMI (IN 1) jack to the TV (DIGITAL IN
OPTICAL) jack. For details, see [HDMI1 Audio Input mode] in [HDMI Settings] (page 42). (Europe models only.)

Hope this answers how I have had it connected and my problem that has arrived.

Please help if you can as this is out of warranty being 2 years old now. Although if the unit is deemed faulty, I would chase grounds for it not surviving for a 'reasonable expectation' of time. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I think the most prudent thing to start with is by factory resetting both the N590 and the TV to begin with.  If it worked before using this setup (and you have confirmed that it works on another TV).   I note that you have already done this, but can you please do this again.

I understand that you cannot now get a display on the other TV.  To reset display settings on the N590:

• On the N590 Unit itself, Press and hold the "Play" button and the "VOL - " button for more than 5 seconds.  This should reset the video output to its lowest resolution.

Now factory reset both the TV N590 and Sony TV. Set it back up again, and test.  If that fails, we're going to have to think of something else :slight_smile:

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Pabloroberts
New

Hi there,

Im just wondering if you have solved this problem? I am experiencing the same issues myself. It has always been a little temperamental, and switching it off by the power seemed to solve the issue with connecting to the TV, however this no longer seems to work. 

Plugging my devices (You View TV box, Xbox, Apple TV) directly into the Sony Bravia TV works fine, as soon as I try to connect via the Sony BDV N590 it does not work and the lights on the machine just pulse... occasionally it says "muting" on the display above HDMI 1 but normally nothing. I can't even access any menus as nothing is visible on my TV.

would love to sort this as I'm very happy with the quality of the equipment! 

Many thanks,

pablo

Hi there
Unfortunately my main unit failed completely so never got to the bottom of it
Will never buy a multi-function 'all-in-one unit again
Bought a Yamaha now and separate DVD/ blu ray
Still use the surround speakers from the Sony but that's it
Sorry I couldn't help more
Cheers
Clive

Sent from my iPhone