Join now - be part of our community!

WF-1000XM4 Battery Drain Issue

profile.country.UA.title
PureFlaws
New

WF-1000XM4 Battery Drain Issue

Hello, for the last year I've been using Sony's WF-1000XM4 Earphones, and during warranty period had almost no complaints to product. But last month or two - coin flipped. Earphones started overheating, for no reason. Due to overheat battery lifetime decreased several times. If usually I had 5-8 hours of playback time, but now - right earphone ~40min, left ~ 60-70min (time may very).

Factory resetting or any troubleshooting process didn't help.

I've tried to contact Sony Ukrainian call centre, or service centre, but didn't get any constructive response. Every proof I shared was ignored. Every link I've sent was denied.

Sadly seems that on Sony Ukraine's opinion warranty period = product life span

Service centre says they would not help because headphones are out of warranty, although this problem is not on my hands, just a defective batch.

Don't know why, but still have last hope for some miracle, such as out of warranty replacement, or something like that.

Anyone got any ideas what should I do, to save earphones and money spent?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
dietervonkhan
New

I have had the same issue, I contact customer support, who admitted this was a known fault on 15th November 2022. I was advised to send the earbuds to he repair centre even though out of warranty and the issue would be resolved. 

I subsequently got an estimate for repair of £209.50. I called back customer services who suddenly had no recollection of the previous conversation, and said I should have waited for a software update.

If I refuse the repair I will still have to pay £30. 

Shocking stuff from Sony

profile.country.GB.title
Imok07
Explorer

Absolutely disgusting! I am having the same problem that is why I am hesitant to send my earphones on one of their repair centers as I am gonna be charged for the repair. My earbuds where perfect until around November where I experienced this same problems . Just a month after warranty expires.

Friendnamedlee
Explorer

Having the same issue since I updated to Firmware version 1.4.2. This seems to be mainly affecting earlier batches of the XM4's.

Sony US are now replacing these units outright according to reddit posts, as they rightly should, as its an issue caused by a defective firmware issued by Sony.

Do not pay for this. This is not your fault, it's Sony's and they should repair this issue as a goodwill gesture.

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @Imok07, are you getting the same problem even after troubleshooting the headphones? Such as resetting and initializing the headphones settings

profile.country.GB.title
Imok07
Explorer

Yes! From 100 percent down to 10percent in approximately less than 30mins of using it. Very frustratin, and heart breaking to buy something expensive and working hard to have it then only to be broken by the company itself.

Piscie
Community Team

@Imok07 this is really frustrating! I'd only recommend getting in touch with the Sony reps to arrange a repair for you, if the unit is still covered under the warranty, it should be a free service from their end. 

profile.country.GB.title
Old_Man_Fran
New

Same with my Linkbuds S. They were normal with 6-8 hours of batery life, when suddenly within a week the left and only the left stopped holding charge for more than 20 mins

profile.country.GB.title
SatoruGojo
Community Team

Hey @Old_Man_Fran, try some troubleshooting steps as this might help, *Check the software version *Resetting the headset  *Initializing the headset