Join now - be part of our community!

Downgrade to XP / install XP on FW11M

quivver
Visitor

Downgrade to XP / install XP on FW11M

Hello,
I'm the customer of a Vaio VGN-FW11M recently, and I've been having a lot of problems with my Windows Vista (but that's not news), so I need to install windows XP A.S.A.P. because it's the notebook I use at work, and the programs that I work in support XP only at this time, and because i have vista too :).
Now, the problem seems to be that no official site has any fw11m drivers for XP, only for vista.
The second big problem is that - even if i would install XP and for example not use the sound card or memory stick - i really need to run XP, and it will not install because it won't find my SATA disk drivers.
I used nLite and made a windows xp cd with the chipset drivers from intel.com, but it just won't work, so i'm desperate because it's 3 days now since i'm doing nothing at work and my bosses are going mad.
i really need to know:
1. how on earth do i install XP on FW11M (step by step)
2. where do i find the drivers.
I read on other forums of people already having XP on the same laptop as mine, but none of them ansered my requests, so this is my last solution.
Please help me, i'm in a desperate condition and i don't know what to do.
I also heared that it's possible (SOMEHOW) to downgrade from Vista Business/Ultimate to XP. My laptop came with Vista Home, but i have a Vista Business licensed copy.
Please help me in guys, i won't forget you :slight_smile:
thanks

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi quivver and welcome.

Unfortunately Sony will not support XP on your model. There are no XP Drivers or Utilities so it is unlikely you will get everything to work with XP. I don't think they will provide these in the future either.

Make at least TWO copies of the Recovery DVDs in case everything goes pear shaped.

You will need to add the SATA driver to your nLite disc and I attach this to the bottom of this post.

As for the other drivers, the ATi Video driver for XP will be the most important and you can download that from the Sony downgrade site for the SR models (the SR19VN also has the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470)

The other drivers will have to be found one by one from other Vaio models with the same hardware - I expect some will come from the FZ, some from the SR and some from the SZ all of which have XP drivers and some utilities.

You should be able to get it to work for basic stuff but I expect there are no XP Utilities for some of the Vaio's functions.

Good luck but the FW is not designed for XP so there will be problems to solve.

:thinking:

quivver
Visitor

Thanks for the info and the driver.
I'll try and integrate these in my windows version and I'll come back and say what happens for the other FW11M holders.
Hope it works. :slight_smile:

quivver
Visitor

Hi,
You sent me last night a driver for the Ich 9 SATA AHCI and it work just fine until it starts copying the XP files from the CD, because then it appears a windows in which it says: Please insert the disk labeled: Intel Matrix Storage Driver Manager (into the floppy of course)... now the problem is that i have a dish with the intel matrix storage driver manager from intel.com but it just won't read it... and it remains there. of course, the only options i have is: F3 to exit or Enter when i inserted the disk. if i press enter, nothing happens....
What should i do next ?
Help please :slight_smile:

belgrun
Visitor

Alguien ha conseguido instaar el Windows XP en la serie FW??

Yo tengo un FW21Z y quiero downgrade a Windows XP. Teneis drivers para XP de la serie FW.

saludos

profile.country.es_ES.title
javi_fly
Visitor

He creado un post de como meter el Windows XP a un VAIO serie FW, el post es este:

http://club.vaio.sony.eu/clubvaio/ES/ES/forum/viewthread?thread=58454&offset=0

saludos