Join now - be part of our community!

Vista reinstall and wireless switch

profile.country.en_GB.title
nathanco2
Visitor

Vista reinstall and wireless switch

Hi,

Have you ever had to reinstall Vista from scratch and been able to use the onboard wireless? My Vista reports "wireless is installed and working correctly" yet will never switch on (despite the state of the physical switch)

I have tried everything i can think of and found from trawling the web that this is quite common with Vaios yet there seems no solution that i have found.

So, has anyone actually ever been able to install from scratch and have on-board wireless work? If so, what did you do?

Thanks

Natalie

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Natalie,

What model Vaio do you have?

In addition to the hardware switch, most models have a software switch.  Depending on the model, this will be called the 'Wireless Switch Setting Utility' or 'Vaio Smart Network'.

Have you reinstalled one of these and turned on the 2.4GHz Wireless LAN option?

If installed, it is usually shown as a small green square in the Taskbar - click on this and make sure the WLAN is turned on.

:wink:

nathanco2
Visitor

Hi Blencogo

This is an earlier thread I have posted on this, it was never resolved sadly so i thought i would make my report less wordy and from a differant tack.

A couple of weeks ago i decided to try again so reinstalled another Vista image and worked through methodically but still, i am at the same symptoms.  Windows reports Wireless is working but simply not switched on.

I have 2.4Gz activated, it stalls mildly as it does this so suggests it is doing something when i toggle on/off yet the light never comes on.

Googling this seems a very common problem with Vaios.

Oddly i have installed Intel 4965 Wireless drivers yet the CR42z/r support page only lists Atheros which you are unable to install.  I am therefore unsure which is accurate? My PC that consistently sayd its an Intel Wireless or the manufacturers own website.

If i go into Windows Mobility in CP the Wireless section is greyed out so still suggests some conflict that Windows doesnt see otherwise.

This is so frustrating as it should not be this difficult to restore my lappie to a working state and i dont want to pay a company £55 for the DVD media that realistically my lappie should have shipped with rather than an image (which doesnt help in a HDD failure or inherant unreliable home made DVDrs).

Will praise you forever if you can help!

Natalie

jamjones9
Visitor

i have the same issues with a sony vaio laptop, the wireless keeps turnin itself off, the physical and software switches report everything is ok..buts its not... i've been at this for about 3 years looking for an answer

please can anybody help

thank you