Join now - be part of our community!

Why is my Vaio slow on start up? Its vertually brand new for gods sake.

Graffkingstem
Visitor

Why is my Vaio slow on start up? Its vertually brand new for gods sake.

Can anyone tell me why my Vaio FW56E take's for ever just to sighn in before start up and then it takes in all about 6 minutes to get on the internet, i'm not impressed Sony, my Toshiba that i had before this Loaded up in half the time and my Vaio has twice the power and its not like i am am running any program's that are hogging up the memory, i just want to use my Vaio for everyday things. Any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Unfortunately there is no single cause for slow loading. Was your FW56E like this when you bought it?

If not then it must be something you have installed (or not installed) since then. Delays of this sort are usually due to the installation of software that is not Windows 7 compliant and the system is searching for software or drivers that do not exist in Windows 7. Alternatively, it could be something you have uninstalled that the system is looking for at startup.

What have you installed since it was new?
Have you installed EVERY Vaio and Windows Update available for your model here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?m=VGN-FW56E&l=en_GB

I would download a Registry Cleaner to remove links to software that does not exist. Most offer a free trial of 30 days or so. Have a look at:

System Merchanic

Tune-Up Utilities

Piriform Ccleaner (Free)

:thinking:

Graffkingstem
Visitor

Thanks for your reply, all i can think of is a couple of weeks ago i turned my laptop on and went to go on my internet explorer and it was not there and there was a message saying you now have a choice for using different browsers and it gave me a list of browsers like safari, firefox ect but this message said to reactivate your internet explorer follow these steps i did and i got it back but then my Norton toolbar and safe search was not on my internet page anymore so i tried a list of things could not get my Norton toolbar back so i uninstalled my Norton security and reinstalled it then my page was ok after that, i don't know if this is were the problem occurred but it is the only thing i can think of, i am up to date with windows updates and Vaio i am wary of using registry cleaners as i have used them in the past my Norton has a registry cleaner would that be ok Thanks, Howard.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Howard,

The only other place to check is in the Event Viewer which will list each failed process or program under three categories - system, applications and security. A failed process will give you a clue what is not working during startup.

You can find the Event Viewer under Control Panel -> Administrative Tools.

Another possibility is Norton. Check the settings and what you are asking Norton to check. In particular make sure Norton is not set to scan your drives and all programs on startup. This used to cause the problem in the past. You could try booting with Norton disabled to see if it is the problem.

:thinking: