Join now - be part of our community!

focus

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
barrshirl
Visitor

focus

when using the alpha a65 and the 75-300 lense i cannot get a sharp picture.i take wildlife when possible but this is causing problems.any tips on a better lense for the camera on a limited budget

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

I have not personally tried this lens before but I have noticed a quirky video review that has been posted on YouTube which includes some captured images. It can be viewed at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cgLeIqaUAU

As far as he is concerned, you will not find a better lens for around 'a thousand bucks' :laughing:

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello barrshirl - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Before suggesting another lens, could you let me know the settings on the camera that you are using when trying to take these wildlife shots i.e. are you leaving everything in 'automatic'?

Thanks,

Simon

barrshirl
Visitor

hi simon,

i have used automatic and manual.have used a tripod and deactivated steadyshot.i have tried fast shutter speeds and then tried small apature settings.i have this morning updated my firmware version from 103 to 106 .

thanks

Mick2011
New

The 75300 is a good general-purpose tele-zoom but it does its best stuff before you reach 300mm full extension, at which point it can look a littel 'soft'. For wildlife, where the faster, longer focal length is required in most cases, you do need to upgrade to better-quality glass.

Sony's G-series lenses represent a major step up from the base model you have, but the prices will reflect this:http://www.sony.co.uk/product/ddl-sony-g-lenses

It may be worth looking at 3rd-party lenses, particulatly Sigmas, for this kind of application. You should find G-series image quality (f4-f5.6) albeit in a very slightly less robust lens body, for quite a bit less outlay. While faster (f2.8) telephoto lenses do often require an investment in excess of the cost of the camera body, regardless of the brand, image quality is optimum with the faster glass.

If you have a lens in mind by all means post it up to the forum and we can give you an opinion.

Cheers

Mick

barrshirl
Visitor

hi mick thanks for the advice.i have seen the sigma 150-500 f5.6-6.3 hsm apo lense.it is expensive but i wondered if it would suite my camera and needs.any lense recommendation up to around £500 would be helpful

thanks

barrshirl

Si_1966
New

If you are willing to go a wee bit higher on your budget to around £650 you can find very good second hand Sony 70-300G lenses on the market.  With a bit of hunting around you might get down to £600.  It is a fantastic lens, I use to own one but my partner has it now as I have the amazing 70-400mm G.

Take a look on Amazon there are plenty there.

Si

Mick2011
New

Yes that's good advice there, Si.

Second-hand is always a good option with lenses and would be the best way of upgrading on a budget. The £500 mark is a tricky one otherwise; there always seems to be a large gap between the £200-400 stuff and the next-best gear.

If you find something that fits the bill and want to run it by the regulars here on the forum before you buy/bid, I'm sure you'd get some helpful advice :cool:

Cheers

Mick

barrshirl
Visitor

thanks mick and si.the sigma 150-500 is just over £600 from onestop digital in china i think.the read up sounds right for my needs.has anyone thied this lense and if so whith what results.

thanks to all

barrshirl

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

I have not personally tried this lens before but I have noticed a quirky video review that has been posted on YouTube which includes some captured images. It can be viewed at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cgLeIqaUAU

As far as he is concerned, you will not find a better lens for around 'a thousand bucks' :laughing:

Thanks,

Simon

barrshirl
Visitor

thanks for your help.it is now time to decide on which lense will be best for me.

barrshirl