Join now - be part of our community!

NEX5 with SEL16F28

SOLVED
wasted_uk
New

NEX5 with SEL16F28

I am considering getting the SEL16F28 wide angle and then either the VCL-ECF1 or VCL-ECU1 to provide both indoor and landscape shooting options. This seeming to be a more affordable choice from the SEL-1018.

Does anyone have this combination and can comment on it? What is the difference between the ECF1 and ECU1 in a practical sense?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi wasted_uk.

I have the SEL16F28 and the VCL-ECU1 and I am very pleased with the combination.  The optics are pretty good for what is, in effect, a 0.75X wide angle conversion lens giving a fixed 12mm f2.8 lens .  The combination is about the same size as the SEL1855 OSS zoom lens.

I take a lot of pictures of the interiors of properties and it is ideal for this purpose as the field of view in landscape mode is approximately 90 degrees - if you stand in a corner, you can get the whole room into the shot.  Perspective is also good with no barrelling of distortion (as long as you hold the camera horizontal).

This was an easy decision for me because I bought my NEX-5 as a dual-lens kit with both the SEL16F28 and the SEL1855 zoom included and just needed the VCL-ECU1.  I also use it on my NEX-7.

Just bear in mind that the SEL16F28 has NO image stabilisation (OSS) - not that it is so important with such a wide lens.

I do not have the VCL-ECF1 as I wouldn't use it.  This is a 'fisheye' converter giving a fisheye perspective with strong visual distortion to give a ultra-wide hemispherical image.

:wink:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi wasted_uk.

I have the SEL16F28 and the VCL-ECU1 and I am very pleased with the combination.  The optics are pretty good for what is, in effect, a 0.75X wide angle conversion lens giving a fixed 12mm f2.8 lens .  The combination is about the same size as the SEL1855 OSS zoom lens.

I take a lot of pictures of the interiors of properties and it is ideal for this purpose as the field of view in landscape mode is approximately 90 degrees - if you stand in a corner, you can get the whole room into the shot.  Perspective is also good with no barrelling of distortion (as long as you hold the camera horizontal).

This was an easy decision for me because I bought my NEX-5 as a dual-lens kit with both the SEL16F28 and the SEL1855 zoom included and just needed the VCL-ECU1.  I also use it on my NEX-7.

Just bear in mind that the SEL16F28 has NO image stabilisation (OSS) - not that it is so important with such a wide lens.

I do not have the VCL-ECF1 as I wouldn't use it.  This is a 'fisheye' converter giving a fisheye perspective with strong visual distortion to give a ultra-wide hemispherical image.

:wink:

wasted_uk
New

Thanks - very helpful reply.

I'll add these to my birthday list for Sept!