Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A77 AF problem

profile.country.en_GB.title
Sarge2000
Visitor

Sony A77 AF problem

After a weekends shooting with the A77 I hit upon a repeated AF issue  and wondered if anyone else has experienced it.  To start with the  camera is in AF-A or AF-C and the AF/MF toggle hasn't been touched, so  its definitely AF mode.

1. Leave the camera to go into sleep/standby mode for about 10 minutes.
2. Hit the shutter button to wake the camera up

3. Camera wakes up really slowly, takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute to  fully start to the point where the AF points become visible.
4. Try to AF on something by half pressing the shutter button

5.  AF point turns green to confirm focus but its definitely not focussed and hasn't even made an attempt at it.

6. Take image, way OOF even though I have focus priority set, so the camera obviously thinks its focussed.

7.  Switch off camera, wait then switch on, usual camera startup time of a few seconds but AF still not working.

8.  Power off camera, remove batteries, wait 10 seconds, replace batteries and power on.  AF now working OK.

On a few occasions I have this happen wthout letting the camera sleep,  just putting it in MF using the dial and then coming back to say AF-C or  AF-A would cause it with the same battery-out resolution required.   This is with FW1.04.  Note the camera has VG attached and the  temperature was about 10 degrees C.  This happened with multiple lenses  (sony/sigma), screw drive and SSM attached and the frequency of  failure  was about once per hour - so noticable!

The display always indicated AF mode when the failure occurred so its  not a button thats been pressed or the focus mode switch has been  knocked or anything simple like that.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

I've had an a77 since they were first available in the UK and my first camera went back because it locked up (wouldn't complete the power up cycle, just sort of hanging).  This was before any firmware updates came out...

My new camera has only 'gone weird' once when it wouldn't quite power up but that was firmware 1.03.   It seems amazing to me that your camera takes 30-60 seconds to wake from sleep mode.   I've often complained that the a77 is a bit sluggish but even so mine wakes from sleep mode in a matter of 1 or 2 seconds.   In fact if I let the cam go to sleep mode then wake it later by pressing and holding the shutter button. It will focus and shoot quite quickly, even before it has drawn the AF points on the live view LCD!

I find it odd that I read so many reports of people with what sound like fairly dramatic problems where others report 'no fault found'. I wonder if a few bodies made it out of the factory with a slightly duff circuit board.  For instance, my first camera before I exchanged it was one of Jessops first deliveries.  My replacement came later from a different shop.  just out of interest, my current camera serial number is 0690150.   I have no idea if numbers are issued sequentially or if there is some hidden code in the s/n (eg date, factory, batch number who knows??)

If I were you, I'd go to your camera store and try the exact same settings on the store camera and see how it compares.  If your camera still seems wrong, I'd demand a replacement....

Cheers

profile.country.de_DE.title
tootallhab
Visitor

Sony A77 AF Problem

I am having a similar issue with my A77.  It seems to be exaggerated by the cold weather. 

For whatever reason after the camera cools down (to still above freezing temperature) the auto focus stops functioning properly.  It still appears to be making some type of focus noise but the lens does not focus and the auto focus indicators do not turn green. 

I have sent a note to customer support but would appreciate any tips. 

I am running 1.06 firmware. 

profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello tootallhab - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

When you say that you have sent a note to customer support, do you mean that you have emailed them?

You may be better off contacting them by telephone to explain the situation and if necessary, they can arrange for further action to be taken if the camera is under warranty and a repair is needed. Their contact details can be found in the following forum thread:

http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/651957#651957

Thanks,

Simon