Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Nex 5k - 18-55mm kit lens - infinity focus

Sony Nex 5k - 18-55mm kit lens - infinity focus

I have a Sony Nex-5k and am having problems putting the lens into infinity focus - the lens is the std 18-55mm kit lens and does not have the infinity symbol on it. It is too dark to focus on a distant object and the focus ring just turns I definately so no way to set infinity by turning it a certain number of times. Any help with this would be much appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.NL.title
albertdros
Contributor

unfortunately this is a known issue with the kit lens. You probably don't want to hear this answer but I haven't seen a workaround on this. You just have to focus on lights in the distance I'm afraid 😞

profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

If I'm not mistaken, you can use focus magnifier and then a distance bar is shown!

Contributor

I'm not sure if that's the case with the NEX portmixus. I know my little brother has one (not the 5) and it doesn't.

profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

I don't have NEX 5 anymore, so you're probably right.

But it's perhaps useful info for others with newer models.

BTW you can either turn towards the infinity direction as a loop then stop. (and if necessary turn it a hair back). Works in practice for me.

You can also "learn" the behaviour of your lens in broad daylight, and see whether your lens goes beyond infinity or not.