Join now - be part of our community!

Sony NEX 5R won't connect to MAC

profile.country.en_GB.title
JSP1408
Visitor

Sony NEX 5R won't connect to MAC

I'm trying to transfer photos to my mac wirelessly but the error message i recvieve on the camaer is

"connected to the access point. Cannot connect to the computer to be saved"

I can send photos to my phone no problem.

I installed the wiresless auto import tool as instructed and restarted the mac but still get the error above.

Is there something else i have to do on the MAC or camera to get this to work?

Apppreciate any help provided.

Thank you,

4 REPLIES 4
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello JSP1408 - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

If the camera is already wirelessly transferring photos to another device (in this case, your phone) you can probably safely assume that everything is set up correctly on your camera. In this case, you may wish to check that you have downloaded the latest versions of the Sony utilities for Mac that are listed for the NEX-5R - there is an up to date list available here:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/NEX-5R/updates

In particular here, there is Wireless Auto Import for Mac. Bear in mind that this needs to be authenticated over USB first of all with your camera.

Let me know if you are still having problems after trying this.

Simon

JSP1408
Visitor

Thanks for the reply Simon,

I've installed the latest software and also authenticated the camera via USB but it still gives the same message on the camera

"connected to the access point. Cannot connect to the computer to be saved"

I've searched hard and long on Google for a solution but haven't had luck.

I'm sure it has something to do with the MAC but there's no support in regards to what to change on the MAC to have the camera send photos to the MAC.

Your help is really appreciated, thank you.

Mick2011
New

This should, in theory, work: I don't think the connection is the problem, it's more to do with exchange protocols which are not properly implemented somewhere in the chain. Why some people can connect and transfer and some can't is a bit of a mystery, to be honest. Hopefully either a future NEX-5 firmware update or a Mac OS update might include a universal fix.

Meanwhile if you're keen enough to get wifi transfer working you should probably invest in an EyeFi card – they work on a Mac 'out of the box'.

Cheers

Mick

Mick2011
New

By way of an update to my previous post, I just noticed a new post in another thread that suggests you can simply ignore the 'cannot connect' message and initiate the transfer anyway. The user reports this working fine on Mountain Lion (Mac OS 10.8.x) so it should be ok on 10.7.x too.

Let me know how this works for you.

Cheers

Mick