Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-50W808C screen goes dark when watching 3D content

20cmrecords
Explorer

KDL-50W808C screen goes dark when watching 3D content

Hello,my name is Paul,I recently buy this TV last month,it has some Android limitations and little issues,one of them is the problem when I watch 3D Movies from PC - HDMI connection or even playing from USB Flash Drive

Explained:

Situation 1 : Watch 3D Bluray Movies(Frame Sequencial) on PC with PowerDVD16,already run the Nvidia Stereoscopic 3D setup,3D Glasses working,resolution set 1080p at 24Hz,when TV detects 3D Signal,screen brightness and contrast drops automatically by 30-50% ,if I disable 3D Mode and resolution from Windows Display Settings and Nvidia CP everything goes back to normal. No problems in 2D mode found so far.

Situation 2 : Watch 3D .mkv/.m2ts format Movies from USB Flash Drive,When I play movies(SBS or OAR/OU) and set "3D mode" to ON,the same thing occurs,pictures lose simnificant amount of constrast and brightness.

I try allready myself to tune some settings,to increase manually Brightness and Contrast,disable Advanced Contrast Enhancer,Disable Light sensor,disable Black Level Adjust,disable ECO mode,disable even Noise Reduction,Motion Flow and Film Mode,I have tried hard reset on TV,nothing works so far.

Is so stressing and problematic to watch a 3D Movie and in some scenes is hard to distinguish things because of bad lighthing conditions.

On the last TV, LG 32LA6130,a passive 3D model,when I set 3D Mode on,then the brighness and contrast automatically enhanced to help 3D movies watch in better conditions.

I want to know if that is a common issue or problem,or if I need to go to a service center unit or it's a normal thing on this TV model.

Sorry for my bad english,I'm outside UK.

Thanks. 

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello there

Your English is fine, and your name is even better.  Paul is a great name :nauseated_face:

All the suggestions I was going to make in regards to increasing brightness, it appears you have already done so.  So I guess the only couple of things to try is the following:

• Ensure that you have the latest firmware installed, see HERE
  • Factory reset the TV.  It is known to fix a good many problems, especially after installing a new firmware.  See HERE for instructions.

Give that a go and see if it works.

Cheers

20cmrecords
Explorer

Hi,thanks for reply

I allready reset to factory defaults(hard reset),nothing improves.

On settings/About sais Model Bravia 2015,Version 5.1.1 ,I was thinking this si Android version,on your link sais 3.533

On System Update sais is up to date

On help/System Information sais Software Version PKG3.533.010EUA

20cmrecords
Explorer

Hello,again...

The problem still persist,I have sended e-mail to a local Sony Service Center Unit,I hope they will respond shortly with a positive solution.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Will be interesting on what Sony say - please keep us informed as I am curious :slight_smile:

Cheers

20cmrecords
Explorer

Hello again,much time has pass after last post...Ive sent the TV to a local Sony Service Unit,after some test the the tehnician from the service unit says that TV hasn't any probleme,the change in the constrast and brighness when watrching 3d content is a normal situation...they have recommnend me to use only "original" content like a 3D Bluray Player on a Platstation Console and some legit(original copyright disks),they some me at the the Service Unit how was the imagine seeing in that conditions with "proper legit" equipment,but is seems to be the same ,it like identically when a watch my personal content at home,there is no significant difference in how is seems at home and how it seems at the service unit...So the problem wasn't resolved so far,I may think to sale this tv and by another that works and seems to function more precise than the actual one. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thanks for the update - it is true though that using 3D in conjunction with the glasses does dim the TV somewhat, however the TV turns up the brightness/backlight up to maximum.

It is a shame that nothing can be done to resolve this issue for you.  However to be frank - 3D is as good as dead now.  No major manufacturer is releasing 3D TVs any longer.

Cheers

20cmrecords
Explorer

I just observe that thing recently,even 3d movies are released on cinemas or just on Bluray 3D disks,no new 3DTV release announced this year,I think the next "fashion thing" about TVs will be 4K HDR,only there are no such much movies released so far that support 4k hdr,not to talk about 4k gaming,is no so easy to reach like 1080p if you want to play at max details quality...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the selling point is HDR now.  This is the problem with capitalism...  Basic rundown is a company must continue to grow.  Therefore manufactuers must try and continually sell us new products and features.  Therefore they must market to us that we actually want those said new features.

UHD HDR Blurays - there are a few on Amazon.co.uk already.  More info can be found HERE.

Unsure on 4K gaming though,