Join now - be part of our community!

CCD-V8AF-E will not open tape holder

profile.country.GB.title
davidmrae
New

CCD-V8AF-E will not open tape holder

Good Afternoon,

I have a very old CCD-V8AF-E camera and a number of tapes with family movies recorded on them.

I want to copy the movies onto a more permanent medium on my computer and to DVD's.

The camera has not been used for many years and now when I tried to do the copying, I discovered that the cassette holder will not open when the eject button is pushed. The light above the eject button comes on solid yellow in colour and after a few seconds begins blinking and the cassette holder does not open.

There is no tape currently in the camera.

I would appreciate it if there is anyone who can give me any ideas on how I can get the cassette holder open.

Thanks in advance

David Rae.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey davidmrae, that's a very old device, no manuals, no info anywhere.. try sending it to an authorised service centre: https://locator.sony/en_GB/servicecenters/?zoom=5&latitude=54.29088&longitude=-2.37305

profile.country.GB.title
davidmrae
New

Thanks for the reply. I did manage to source a copy of the original user manual for the camera, but it wasn't useful in solving the problem. I don't think it will be worth getting it repaired. It will most likely cost more to repair (if it is at all possible) than paying to have the tapes copied.

I will leave the question open for a little longer to see if anyone else replies.

Regards

David Rae

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

WOW! V8AF... I've a more old V8 (the first's schoulder Video 8 Camera from Sony, no Auto Focus), great!

Maybe you can try to open holder, if you want a Service Manual:

https://elektrotanya.com/sony_ccd-v8af-e.pdf/download.html

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey davidmrae, I'll be checking as well.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi davidmrae

This will probably not work but may be worth a try as it has worked on a few occasions in the past when a loose part has jammed the mechanism.

Turn the camcorder upside down and give it a sharp smack on the bottom to dislodge any jammed bits.

I know it sounds silly but worth a go. The alternative is likely to be disassembly or buying an old camera on eBay.