Join now - be part of our community!

FDR-AX53 XAVC-S 4K - "jerkyness"

clarkerz
New

FDR-AX53 XAVC-S 4K - "jerkyness"

Hi,

I have just purchased a FDR-AX53 from Jessops Cardiff on the 1st April 2016. 

I am having trouble with JerkyNess when using recording movies XAVC-S 4K at both 60 and 100 mb/s. The quality is stunning but the jerkyness makes the picture annoying to watch.

All HD recordings are perfect and faultless. I have put 5 different tests here on YouTube and I'd like your thoughts on why it is "jerky". It's as though there is some sort of video processing being applied but I cannot see where to switch it of it there is. I really don't want to have take the camera back for a refund so hope this is resolvable.

Test 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHW5oP1vHYQ

Thanks

Clarkerz

23 REPLIES 23
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@clarkerz

Hi,

I am expecting delivery of this camcorder on Wednesday so it is somewhat disheartening that there are issues with 4K already. I know that the older 4K models did not appear to process the footage quick enough which gave the appearance of 'jerkyness' during panning - see this thread https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/camcorders/fdr-ax-33-panning/td-p/2004676

This camera has an improved processor and fast intelligent AF so one would expect better results ?

Sadly I read this on page 139 of the user manual regarding frame rates:

Available frame rate settings

XAVC S 4K:

30p(*)/25p(**)

24p(*)

XAVC S HD:

60p(*)/50p(**)

30p(*)/25p(**)

24p(*)

AVCHD

60i(*)/50i(**)

60p(*)/50p(**)

24p(*)/25p(**)

Descriptions of menu items

60i(*)/50i(**):

This is an ordinary setting for recording AVCHD movies.

60p(*)/50p(**):

You can record movies with a data volume twice that of 60i(*) or 50i(**)/30p(*) or 25p(**) per

unit time. When you play a movie recorded with this setting on a TV, the TV must be

compatible with 60p(*) or 50p(**) movie playback and you have to set [HDMI Resolution] to

1080p.

30p(*):

It is recommended that you use a tripod when recording movies with this setting.

24p(*)/25p(**):

You can record movies which provide an atmosphere closer to that of film images with this

setting. It is recommended that you record movies with this setting using a tripod.

Please note the section in red, as the only frame rate for 4K available is 25p (for a UK model) it would appear Sony recommend using a tripod ? If I am right then this is not great. Sure, they have got full HD sorted but 4K seems a little more challenging.

Personally I hope you can recover the issue through the camera settings, the footage does look good. I have purchased two of the following - SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB SDXC UHS-I/U3 Memory Cards up to 95MB/s - which is the least that the user manual recommends for 4K 100Mb/s

It might be worth switching off the dual record function, that is if you have it enabled during 4K recording ?

Please let us know if you sort this out - sorry I cannot help any further

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@clarkerz

Hi,

Did you resolve the "jerkyness" issue ?

I have my AX53 now and I am very happy with the results. I must say that I updated the software here

before I first used it. This update would not have been available to you at the time you posted this thread.

I recorded at 4K XAVC S 60MB/s and played from the camera through the television, I think it is brilliant !

I have reviewed the camera on this and Amazon web site.

Regards

Gope57
Explorer

Jonnie, Which Memory Card do you use for your AX53?

So it works in 4K

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@Gope57

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I have had trouble getting my account working !

Here is a link to the memory card that I have used: SanDisk

Ljoms12345
Explorer

As long as it is 25 P you wont be able to resolve it.  I dont use 4K when i am moving/panning and the result is more than good enough for my eye:) 

profile.country.HU.title
CSABA53
Explorer

Hi,

I'm very disapponinted in the AX53.

I was looking forward to this model because of the promising huge marketing.

AX53 focus/lock-on AF FUZZY (after updated 1.01 software)

https://youtu.be/RWwCcBYmZnI

AX53 JERKY movements in 4K despite strong SteadyShot

https://youtu.be/LacwGaAFbPE

AX 53 while panning FUZZY and CHOPPY images.

https://youtu.be/uKpZl6rGWl8

These are only part of the BASIC DEFECTS... (To be continued)

Nobody can help because new repair software is not yet.

I'm a practised user working as a cameraman/director.

I worked for 3 years with the former SONY model HDR PJ740VR.

Csaba

Hungary

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@CSABA53

Hi,

I appreciate your work as a cameraman. I am in no way a professional but I think the AX53 is brilliant. I am sure if it is as bad as you say I would notice these issues also ? Just a thought but have you wondered if your camera is working properly ? It may have a fault ?

Regards

profile.country.HU.title
CSABA53
Explorer

Hi,

You saw the tests, didn't you?

Problems need correcting with a new software update!

Otherwise, this model WILL BE great.

The sooner SONY realize its error, the better.

Csaba

Hungary

profile.country.GB.title
LennonMac
Explorer

I have just learned that if you mount the FDR-AX53 on a Tripod you cant turn on the Boss system Stabilisation and if you zoom while on the Tripod the footage is very Shaky,so i cant use a Tripod.