Join now - be part of our community!

How can I connect my old tape playing HC90E to a Mac and capture videos from it?

profile.country.GB.title
LWGray
Explorer

How can I connect my old tape playing HC90E to a Mac and capture videos from it?

I have an old HC90E and various tapes that I want to digitize. However my Mac computers will not recognise the camera. I'm trying to attack through the USB cable using the PlayMemories Home software recommended on the website. But that won't recognise the camera. Nor will a copy of FCP7, which does have a Video Capture component.

The old Sony disk that I still have is for PC's only.

The camera works still and plays the tapes, but I can't get any machine recognise it. So I'm stuck. Any suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi LWGray and welcome.

Does this help?

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-dime/how-to-transfer-dv-or-digital8-videos-to-yo...

You will need to use the camera's firewire (aka DV, aka iLink) cable.

Do you have a firewire port on your Mac?

You may need an adapter.

:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
LWGray
Explorer

Hi, I’ll try find an adapter for thunderbolt. Though I did have a Firewire through port on a disk drive that usually works but the machine would not recognise the camera.

What is the best capture setting for Final Cut 7? I assumed that was the issue. Either that or the camera can’t be recognised through a through port.

Lawrence