Join now - be part of our community!

.MMV files

profile.country.GB.title
ilovemyprobe
Explorer

.MMV files

Around 20 years ago, I purchased a Sony IP5 which records in the .MMV format. This was so that I could record all of the early years of my daughter from baby up until ten year old.

Because tape can degrade over time, I took the decision around ten years ago to transfer all of the footage from the tapes to the hard drive of my PC. Here is a typical file listing as set out below:

MS20091025211043-05.mmv

On my latest Sony Viao, model number SVF15A1C5E, I find that these files are not playable no matter what software I use.

At this moment in time, I am extremely worried that these files will remain useless, can you help?

NOTE: I no longer have the IP5 or the tapes, just many gigabytes of files on a hard drive.

Can anyone help?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hiya

Have you tried an app called Merdia Player Classic?

click here

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi there,

In addition to Jumpy's suggestion, this article might also be useful: https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/converting-micromv-mmv-video-files-in-windows/

I hope this helps!

C

profile.country.GB.title
ilovemyprobe
Explorer

Hi jumpsuit

Thank you for the information and link. Am I right in thinking that its a player only? I am looking for a software that i can dump the .MMV files into and the software convert the files to MPEG or other such supported playable files.

Dont understand how Sony can allow us to spend good money on their products and then when it fails just wash their hands of the matter leaving millions of consummers with precious video of children just born or now passed away etc. Would take them 5 minutes to throw something together that would convert .mmv files that one could download for the next 50 years! 

Hi cass_n looking at your suggestion today, thanks.