Join now - be part of our community!

Sony AX100 4K Handycam

fwandy
New

Sony AX100 4K Handycam

After purchasing a AX100 4K handycam. Whilst I was initally impressed with the image quality I was totally disappointed with the image stabilization.

Its like stepping back 10 years. Its a shame that Sony did not include the balanced optical steadyshot with this model as currently I feel the jerks and every single movement it picks up really lets it down.

For this price I really expected better from Sony. Have sent back and await a new model.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Thanks for this extra info fwandy,

I was checking through the user manual for this product and discovered that whilst recording in 4K mode that only 2 channel stereo audio is available whereas in the 'normal' HD mode 5.1 audio is availabe. This also puts me off until the next model as I have spent a lot of money on a surround system and my present HDR-SR1E (old hat now but still a great camcorder) also records in 5.1 which is fantastic on the system. Perhaps it is something to do with the amount of information required - as it is you can only expect to record up to two hours on a 60GB memory card in 4K mode !

If it ain't broke don't fix it
fwandy
New

Perhaps that is the case with the Audio yes.

I have an old Sony Cx730e the balanced image stabilization on it is awesome, so it seems  newer is not always better in some ways.

I am surprised Sony did not release a few different models of their 4k handycam.

Looks like it will be the shame that its the usual yearly wait for a new model. Competition is now there in the 4K market and I don't really want till wait till next march for a 4k new model.

Hope Photokina brings something new in the handycam range. Its current Ax100 is vastly overpriced. 

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Out of interest what were you watching the 4K footage on ?

I have already been 'stung' this year as I bought the now discontinued X9005A 4K television which has a 'few' things missing so to speak - a lesson everyone keeps telling me is not to be an early adopter, personally I don't see how these products get off the ground if there are no adopters at all !

If it ain't broke don't fix it