Join now - be part of our community!

Cybershot - use in Antarctica??

profile.country.nl_NL.title
acadian
Visitor

Cybershot - use in Antarctica??

prefer to travel super light so have model with 5.1megapixels, mpeg movie VX. Took hi-quality non-professoinal photos in Sahara, Iceland, Tanzania, New Zealand. Now I'm going to Antarctica - max temp -5F when I go. Is it do-able to take this camera??

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Using a product in these conditions is really difficult to recommend since most consumer based products rarely get tested in extreme conditions. Most will be suitable for maybe a few photos before it stops working but there are a few which have been tested to function.

The DSC-TX5 was the first Sony made which was shockproof, waterproof and freezeproof. From its performance, it has found to be operation in conditions as cold as -10°C. The newer version reports the same performance (DSC-TX10). Battery life may not be great but I guess if you keep it in your pocket so it stays slightly warmer, you should be ok.

On average, it is about -50°C there now so even this camera will be pushed pretty hard so I can only assume it wont last long.

I would say maybe have a look at some of the hard core photography forums and see what others are using. More likely than not it will be high end DSLR's but defeats the object of light travel.    

acadian
Visitor

a really helpful answer - you have a lot of knowledge, and I appreciate your taking time for this Question! best, Acadian

profile.country.en_GB.title
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Thank you.

The only other option would be considering a 35mm range finder camera there the older ones have very few electronical components if not any at all. Since film has a better tolerance to cold (+/- 40°C approx), you might still find you can get away with some nice photos from your trip.

The only downside, you have to get the film developed then scanned or if you have a negative scanner then a direct copy to your computer. Other issue is going to be you cannot view the photo you have taken so need to be a lot more precise when taking photos which maybe the difficult depending on experience level.The good thing is prices start even on eBay at about £20 which is not too bad.

Easiest thing I would say if it all gets a bit too much is try and find a really cheap and cheerful camera which records to Memory Stick or SD card and even if it fails, you should have some photos to come back home with. Just remember to keep it as warm as possible when not in use so inside pockets until needed. When you get indoors, make sure it is not exposed to severe changes in temperature otherwise you might end up with condensation.

Another final tip, if you do decide to go down the digital route, the camera sensor will get confused if it is sunny and loads of snow around. You might need to lower the exposure slightly to about -0.3, -0.7 or possibly -1.0, The below page might help you make more sense if needs be.

http://www.pixiq.com/article/how-to-exposure-for-snow

Either way, if you do get photos, please feel free to add them since I would love to see.

acadian
Visitor

again, great advice!