Join now - be part of our community!

Kobo

profile.country.en_GB.title
Cymraes
Visitor

Kobo

I usually buy my books from the Smiths online store but have just tried - and failed - to make my first purchases since they've partnered up with Kobo.

Firstly, having added three books to a wish list I then couldn't select them move to my basket (either in IE or Firefox).

So I then tried to go straight to buy one of the books - only to find that Kobo appears not to accept debit cards. Am I imagining it, or have I missed something fundamental??

Went to Waterstones in the end.

Is it just me that finds the process of buying and downloading ePub books just more stressful than it's worth?? The books had better be a darn good read!

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
thomasn75
Visitor

hi

i have bought kobo books fine and when downloaded they import into sony reader software without problems. i wonder if you need to use a credit card as kobo is canadian company. i find waterstones so overpriced. i cant see waterstones surviving unless they become competative. kobo prices generally seem to match amazon. i am waiting for the sony store to see what they have to offer as in theory it should be the easiest way to buy from prs-t1

thomas

carpetmojo

The devil may well lie in the pricing policy - I use inkmesh to compare prices, and there are other ebook comparison sutes which will also show up ........differences ?

Lets hope it's not like the "come to us to insure your car - we aren't on comparison websites" ....NO, because you're dearer than almost everyone else !!!!!  :wink:

Cymraes
Visitor

Just to follow up on this ...

WH Smith tell me that you can't add books to your wish list and select and buy them all together - you can only buy books one by one at present.

They also say - having checked the Kobo website, just like I did - that the only means of payment appear to be credit card and PayPal. Seems they didn't know this already. Tough on those of us who don't want to use PayPal or a credit card ...

carpetmojo

I've just downloaded a freebie from Kobo - The Book of the Farm, for those following the Victorian Farm programmes.

But I did it using Calibre on the PC ,

I don't really see how you'll buy with the T1 without a credit card or PayPal, especially on  wifi.

I find PayPal really good for buying books, safe, secure, quick and easy - but you need a card to set up the account.

I do hope Smiths get their act together now they're Kobo - I've always found their site a bit hookey, frankly.

thomasn75
Visitor

I would never use a debit card on the internet. you are not insured against fraud as you are on a credit card. furthermore if there is any fraud they have access to your main way of managing you money rather than a seperate credit card. if you are bothered about having to pay it of every month you can set it up so that the credit card company will automatically debit your current account with the amount you owe on the credit card. I cant really see why anyone would have a problem with using a credit card - it is much safer online.

dont mean to sound harsh but it really is not safe

thomas