Join now - be part of our community!

My I-mac does not see my Sony PRS e-reader

SOLVED
profile.country.nl_NL.title
o.seijler
Visitor

My I-mac does not see my Sony PRS e-reader

Dear All,

I have installed my PRS E-reader successfully on my windows computer. I then bought an I-Mac and installed reader library and now I cannot connect the Mac to my reader.

It charges OK but it displays an error in the reader library.

How can I get them to talk?

Best regards,

Otto

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
rosiebud73

I found that whilst I couldn't read the new book in Calibre (ie get DRM error Message) it was fine reading it on the ereader.

Have just upgraded iMac to Lion and sadly 'Error' when connecting to Reader Library problem remains.

profile.country.GB.title
rosiebud73

Hi again folks.

This issue has been really getting to me, but I think I have now cracked it.

The problem is our Macs/iMacs are booting into 64bit mode and to get the eReader to register properly in the Reader Software our Macs need to boot into 32 bit mode.

To do this when you boot your Mac simply hold down the 3 and 2 keys while it boots up.

Now when you plug your ereader in it opens the reader library and lo and behold there is your Reader in the list - not an 'Error' to be seen!

Hope you all have the same success as I have.

Good luck.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kramers68
Visitor

Hello

I too downloaded the Mac OS upgrade to Lion yesterday. My Sony PRS-300 now shows as "ERROR" in the Reader Library.

I tried booting the MAc using the 3 and 2 keys but the same ERROR is shown in Library.

Very disappointed as I have quite a few ebooks that I have purchased and my ereader now seems redundant!

Come on Sony - please produce a software update to allow us Mac Lion users to keep using our e-readers.....please!

georgedog
Visitor

Otto, thanks for the advice- I've installed Calibre as you suggest and problem now solved (no thanks to Sony)

best wishes

Georgedog

profile.country.GB.title
rosiebud73

Did you 'cold boot' your Mac (ie powered completely off and then back on) whilst holding down the 3 and 2 keys.  It won't work if you simply do a restart holding down these keys.

Jby1823
Visitor

I too came close to throwing away our 2 PRS 505 readers. Saved by the bell...I have managed to download and transfer 2 books. Here's what I did.

I am UK based, I have a new Imac with Lion OS.

Download the Reader Library software from Sony for the Mac system.

For it to work you must shut down your system (not restart).

Switch back on again and hold down keys 2 and 3 on your keyboard until it is fully up and running.

Start Reader Library and connect your Sony reader.

Use Safari or another browser to go to the Sony ebookstore, a US based site.

Click on any book as though you wish to purchase. The estore appears in the Reader Library panel.

A message appears telling you that the Sony Reader is not authorised for this purchase.

Log in (or create) your ebook store account. Crucial here is to use the Adobe ID you used to purchase books previously. It is usually your email address.

Your account is then opened in the same panel at Adobe asking if you wish to authorise your Reader. Do so.

Click on your reader in the Reader Library panel and transfer your books.

It worked for me.

The essential part is getting to your Adobe ID account to authorise your Sony.

Have fun!!

John

kramers68
Visitor

Hello all

Sony appear to have recently released new Reader software for both Mac and PC.

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/690244

I downloaded it yesterday (22nd Sept) and it works a treat!

My Mac now recognises my PRS300 (without the need to boot as 32bit) and the problem I was having with syncing that kept freezing is resolved. Good news!

The solution comes just in time for me to pass my PRS300 onto the wife when I get the new model reader on 19th Oct.

hope the above link helps.

Gavin

kramers68
Visitor

Hello all

Sony appear to have recently released new Reader software for both Mac and PC.

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/690244

I downloaded it yesterday (22nd Sept) and it works a treat!

My Mac now recognises my PRS300 (without the need to boot as 32bit) and the problem I was having with syncing that kept freezing is resolved. Good news!

The solution comes just in time for me to pass my PRS300 onto the wife when I get the new model reader on 19th Oct.

hope the above link helps.

Gavin

micnott75
Visitor

Dear Rosebud,

Many thanks for this. I re-booted my iMac holding down keys 3 and 2, and lo and behold, my PRS-T1 has now appeared and I can read on it the ebook which has been readable on the computer but not, hitherto, on the Reader. Why hasn't anybody discovered this simple solution before?

Anyway, thanks again for coming to the rescue