Join now - be part of our community!

HT-XT3 and Bravia Sync Problems

GeorgeStark99
Explorer

HT-XT3 and Bravia Sync Problems

I've just purchased an HT-XT3 and am experiencing odd behaviour relating to the Bravia Sync.

It's connected to my Sony LED TV (KDL47W, something or other...about 2yrs old) via the HDMI ARC port on the TV itself, to the TV in port on the soundbase.  I have a Sky HD box connected to the sound base's HDMI1 port, an HTPC to HDMI2 and an Apple TV on HDMI3.

I've configured what I believe to be the correct settings for the Bravia Sync to work, but it only works as I'm expecting it to work (and I'm not discounting my expectations to be the issue here) when the device on HDMI2 is powered on.  When it works, I'm able to change the TV/soundbase volume via the TV's remote control (or the Sky remote) and if I put the TV into standby, the soundbase also goes into standby.  Perfect, and all that I'm expecting.

However, as soon as I power off the HTPC on HDMI2, a message appears on the TV to tell me that the sound control has reverted back to the TV because of an 'audio system failure'.  If I boot the HTPC back up, it all works perfectly again.  I've gone through the settings until I'm blue in the face and changed almost everything, one thing at a time, but nothing works.  I've also swapped the cables over between the Sky box (HDMI1) and the HTPC (HDMI2) in case it was a cable issue (the Sky provided HDMI cables aren't exactly top of the range), but nothing changes.

I've spent sime time today 'researching' possible solutions (including some from this forum), but I've found nothing concrete.  As it stands, when watching TV via Sky, I'll have to have the TV volume muted and use the XT3's remote to control the volume (not exactly ideal) OR have the HTPC on 24/7 (again, not ideal) OR I connect the Sky box directly to the TV and miss out on the improvement in sound whilst watching Sky (which is 80% of what the TV is used for).

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.  Apologies in advance, if I've not supplied enough information.

4 REPLIES 4
GeorgeStark99
Explorer

Just an update, in case anybody feels compelled to respond (or if this actually ends up helping someone in a similar situation)...

I completely removed the HTPC from the equation, powered everything OFF/ON and things worked perfectly (as they did whilst the HTPC was connected and powered on).  I reconnected the HTPC and I was back to the original scenario.  Interestingly, disconnecting the HTPC after it had booted, kept the TV/soundbase 'link' alive.

After some thought, I realised that the HTPC doesn't actually completely power off...it looks to be taking about 2w (who knows why) and althought indicating an 'off' state by being RED, the power LED is constantly lit.  I figure that the soundbase is somehow detecting a device that's off and subsequently disconnecting the link between itself and the TV.  I've no idea why it's giving preference over this connection, when my Sky HD box is constantly powered on and should be more than enough to advertise to the soundbase that there's an active device.

Does anybody know why it might be doing this?  It doesn't seem to matter which HDMI port I connect the HTPC to, it always appears to be given this preferential treatment by the HT-XT3 (as mentioned in my OP, the cables have already been swapped around, so I don't see it being a cable issue).  It's looking like there's no way to completely power off my HTPC, so it's back to the drawing board.

:slight_frown:

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It seems like you have some component of your setup that is not perfectly compliant to the HDMI-CEC protocol and that could harm the whole chain. I've seen many cases in which is the Sky decoder even if by the result of your testing the HTPC seems to be the faulty one. The solution in such cases is to use an HDMI CECless cable that completely avoid the sending of faulty signals from the device.

GeorgeStark99
Explorer

Thanks for the reply.

I've previously had my HTPC device connected to a Sony 5.1 amp for about 8 years without any issues, so it could well be that the newer technology of the HT-XT3 is less forigiving of items not following the rules.

I'm due to replace this HTPC with a Raspberry PI, so I'll see if there's any improvement.  Also, the PI will be powered on 24/7 as it's such a low power device so even if I see the same issue, it might be overcome by the device being constantly powered on.

Failing that, I'll follow your suggestion and either purchase the appropriate HDMI cable, or an adapter which blocks the relevent CEC pin (13, I think).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

This adaptor has pin 13 removed:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-HDMI-Less-Adapter-Female/dp/B00DL48KVI/

Cheers