Join now - be part of our community!

Question re AVCHD files

profile.country.en_GB.title
richwl
Visitor

Question re AVCHD files

I know that the BDP S-370 (& others?)  will play AVCHD files on SD cards via the USB, but will it play AVCHD-created DVDs?  I wish to use this as the means to get my edited HD videocam videos in HD format.

5 REPLIES 5
Catmambo
Contributor

Yes as far as I'm aware as Blu-rays can also utilise this codec. Maybe burn a disc and take it down to your local Sony Centre to confirm.

Thanks

richwl
Visitor

Good idea.  I'll try that.  Thanks

profile.country.ES.title
jajimne82
Explorer

Hello

I have the Sony BDP-S470 and yes I can play AVCHD videos recorded on DVD (obviously recorded on Bluray too). The difference is that the maximum bitrate for AVCHD files recorded on DVD is 18Mbps and you can check here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

When you record in support Bluray AVC bitrate can reach up to 45 Mbit / s. This difference is due to the red laser (CD and DVD) with blue laser (Bluray and hence its name).

Then, when you burn it on DVD with Nero, select DVD UDF 2.5. I have made several and they look great.

Regards,

--------------------------------

Hola

Yo tengo el Sony BDP-S470 y sí puedo reproducir videos AVCHD grabados en DVD (evidentemente en grabados en Bluray tambien). La diferencia es que el bitrate máximo para archivos AVCHD grabados en DVD es de 18Mbps como tu puedes comprobar aquí:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD > up to 24 Mbit/s (flash and HDD media); up to 18 Mbit/s (DVD media). A conventional single-layer 12 cm DVD disc can store approximately half an hour of video recorded at 18 Mbit/s. Tambien puedes usar un disco DVD de doble capa...

Cuando grabas AVC en soporte Bluray el bitrate puede llegar hasta 45 Mbit/s. Esto se debe a la diferencia del láser rojo (CD y DVD) con el láser azul (Bluray y de ahí su nombre).

Luego, a la hora de grabarlo en DVD, con Nero, seleccionas DVD UDF 2.5. Yo he hecho varios y se ven muy bien.

Saludos,

richwl
Visitor

That is most helpful.  Many thanks.  I will be producing the AVCHD disks using Corel VideoStudeo 12 (X2) but I have no idea about whether my in-built DVD writer in my PC will handle dual layer DVDs.  Maybe the restricted time on single layer DVDs will help to stop me making my holiday videos too long and boring!

Richard

richwl
Visitor

Thanks for the helpful replies.  I have now created an AVCHD DVD from my camcorder tape using Corel Videostudio 12 and tried it at John Lewis on a Sony BDP S-370 and, indeed, it does play the disk without problems.  However, I was very disappointed with the result - barely an improvement on a SD DVD - also produced by the same software and which I also took along.  Maybe I am doing something wrong with my capturing or processing. I will have to look into this.  However it is confirmed that the S-370 will play AVCHD DVDs.

Richard