Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

Hi everyone,

Just an update on the current EPG issue that seems to be affecting a significant amount of Sony & Pioneer DVD recorders.

Models potentially affected are:

RDR-HXD770/870/970/1070/790/890/995/1095

It appears that something has changed in the way that these devices are receiving EPG data. So we are already trying to understand what has happened and how this can be rectified, realising that a large number of people have been affected.

Latest Update 22/07/2013 15:41

Sony has been working with the broadcasters to try to work out why this issue has occurred and how to remedy it. With your help Sony has discovered that clearing down potentially corrupt broadcast data (EPG) stored within the machine will remedy this issue.

Whilst we continue to work with the broadcasters, and ahead of any final statement, we recommend the following steps to remedy this issue:

1/.

i). Turn off the DVD/HDD recorder at the mains (ie remove the plug from the wall)

ii). Wait 30 seconds

iii). Reconnect the power.

The set may now work correctly.

However, in certain cases it may be necessary to carry out a full factory reset as follows (please note this will return the product to its original out-of-box 'Easy Set Up' position so you will need to set-up the product as if it were new):

2/.

i). Make sure the DVD/HDD recorder is turned 'on'

ii). Remove any DVD disc from the machine and close the drawer.

iii). Press and hold the "Stop" button, then press and release the "on/standby" button, then release the "Stop" button (ON THE RECORDER, not the remote)

iv). The product is then turned 'off' and all settings are reset to factory default, with all potentially corrupt 'tuning' and 'EPG' data removed.

v). The DVD/HDD recorder will now need to be re-tuned and set up following the step-by-step on screen instructions - Note: Choose "Digital Guide" rather than "Guide Plus" at the relevant stage of the set-up (Guide Plus is no longer broadcast).

In the unlikely event that you still experience difficulties, please contact the Sony consumer helpline on 0844 8466 555 or for more info visit: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/RDR_HN

Many thanks

195 REPLIES 195
Mark_IV
Explorer

Mine is also now working fully

MinaH131
Explorer

This is not good and no well done to Sony.  Quite frankly Sony have been very poor and, Sony, I hope you appreciate this is a PR disaster.  You mention that Sony responded to say that the issue was being looked at.  It took AGES before that message was issued.  There was also no temporary workarounds issued.  The workarounds, from what I can gather, was issued by people who wond't work for Sony. And very impressive of them too. 

I too still have a Guide in a Turquoise colour and I want a response as to when this is going to be resolved. I bought three Sony machines and the issue has occured on all three.  I, like other people, want a decent apology rather than haphazard comments that are being made.  And I hoep you do not think the issue has been resolved.  It has not.  Sort out the colour of the Guide.  I want the machine I purchased.

Plus, I have no idea what damage has occured to the issue and whether any long term damage has happened to the hard drives.  So no, no thanks to Sony. 

EFBenson

Grumpy guts -I don't think anyone knows for sure that it was something Sony did. As an affected owner of an HXD970 I've been following loads of threads on different forums all weekend. But to me the most plausible theory I've seen is that the EPG broadcasts ( managed by a third party) included some format change that Sony machines couldn't handle. So if anything it was something Sony DIDN'T do to cater for an unforeseen situation. We'll know for sure when the facts emerge rather than all this speculation.
MinaH131
Explorer

No EFBenson, not grumpy, genuinely annoyed.  I paid money for DVD recorders so that they would work.  Not so that they would occasionally work and not that they would stop working for a weekend.  

I have not seen a decent apology from Sony, have you?  Even on the page regarding info about the products there is no mention of the issue.  I think you are being far too lenient.  And as one person mentioned, if this occurred in the US people would be all over it.  So no, definitely not "grumpy". It happened on my Sony machines not Panasonic and so, yes, it's a Sony issue.

Mr_Onion

Same problem with the HXD995 here, but since I have 'gone French' it all seems OK.

Technology eh? Don't you just love it?

Burberries
Explorer

I'm all back to normal guys.  Picked up on the fact that others had found themselved fully functional so though I'd give it a try too.  Re-tuned back to UK  - channels are there and more importatnly so is the EPG - even the colours are correct.  Think the wave of discontent must have spurred those people who could do something - to do it!!  Disaster for Sony - -who wants their brand bad mouthed on the BBC website.  Should have stepped in sooner Sony.  Thanks to all those out there who identified the interim solution.

anneprice
Explorer

MinaH131

I don't get why you're demanding an apology from Sony - especially so soon.  Are you SURE it's Sony's fault?  If you read their earlier posts, they are wondering if it's a change to the EPG format (or some such) that's caused it.  EPG is third party software, so if a change there has had an unexpcted conflict with Sony products, I'm not sure how Sony can be held responsible.  More to the point, they seem to have fixed / be fixing the problem.  It was fixed in less than 12 hrs from when I discovered the fault (though the fault may have been there for some time before that - I just don't know.)

I'm not an apologist for Sony (and I don't work for them!)  I'm just amazed at all you folks who are getting shirty at Sony when you don't actualy KNOW the fault lies with them.  Now, flame away, if you like - I really don;t care that much!  :cool: 

profile.country.GB.title
Ron_Obvious
Explorer

I used the ‘France’ work around yesterday and manually set my 870 to record a programme last night, after which it would have turned itself off. Today on switching on a message appeared on the TV screen “A new channel was found. The channel data was updated”. The machine now appears to be working normally so far, and the EPG screen is in normal colours.

If Sony personnel have been able to resolve this issue over the weekend then they are to be commended and I should be happy to commend them. I will even not complain that grammatically the message should have read ‘The channel data were updated’.

profile.country.en_GB.title
gerry1047

A few apologists for Sony, but not many.

It doesn't matter what or who caused the problem, it was specific to their machines. It's their brand value trashed.

They were told about the problem on Friday but never acknowledged it although they claim to have been working on a solution.

They only started communicating this morning and it appears the problem was resolved 2-3 hrs later. What a coincidence!  Clearly nothing was done earlier and this could have been sorted on Saturday.

Such workrounds....the french option....as were suggested, were put forward by laymen. They should have come from Sony.

As of now, I am still not aware of notification FROM SONY of a solution and what steps to take to implement it.

Sony have proved themselves a shambles.

suzannewarnock
Explorer

Thank you Sony (or whoever it was) for sorting this problem out. My RDR-HDX870 is back to normal. It even performed it's usual 2.00pm update and everything is still fine.

I've had my recorder for quite a few years and have never had any previous problems. I still think my Sony Bravia TV and this DVD recorder were excellent purchases and have served me well.

Hopefully this was a one off glitch and won't happen again, but if it does, the problem can be quickly identified and rectified.

Many thanks to everyone who posted updates and tips on what to do. I was so happy to realise it wasn't just something I had done or that my recorder was broken. I'm not very technical and this information was excellent.