Join now - be part of our community!

STR DN 1040 Not showing in Home Network!

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

STR DN 1040 Not showing in Home Network!

I'm in need of a little help getting my STR DN 1040 to show up in my home network please.

I've followed the instructions on page 62 (GB Manual) Windows 7 PC but to no avail, it just never shows.

My receiver is connected by a network cable.

Any help appreciated thanks.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

I figured it out, enter 001 = .1 (dumby)!! :dizzy:

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

No I wasn't referring to the arrows (you can use the number buttons on remote too) I couldn't figure how to enter a single digit i.e. '1' into a field that requires 3 digits. Answer = 001 = .1 Simples!

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Success.., you make a good techer!

Let the experimenting begin....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Kewl - No not a good teacher.  I dont have patience !  And the cane is now outlawed.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Shame,

I got the cane once for bunking off, never did me any harm, did I mention I'm into S&M???

LOL..Only joking! No really!!

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hey Quinnicus,

Back at you finally. Well it's been a busy couple of days.., I've installed iHomeServer for iTunes and although initially I had problems with my firewall blocking access it is now working very well thank you!

You made this comment in an earlier post:

If / once you got WMP12 working correctly, I think WMP12 acts like a rudimentry DLNA server.  However I think it has one handy feature > "Play to" so you can send the music from your PC/laptop to the DN1040 using "play to".

I'm happy to inform you that iHomeServer has this feature too! :slight_smile:

I haven't tried all aspects of this software yet but as far as streaming iTunes to my DLNA devices, Sony STR DN1040 included, it works very well indeed.

It has a useful feature whereby you can also access your iTunes library from a web page on any computer in the house. Likewise if you are away for a few days or even during your luch break at work you can access your iTunes library over the internet. Apparently even from the other side of the world although I can't think why you would go away and leave your computer running.

The only downside I can find so far is that streaming iTunes to my receiver still does not support gapless playback. I think this is due to the limitations of the receiver as opposed to iHomeServer.

I wish Sony would fix this annoyance in an update, it's the most irritating thing about the STR DN1040

Thanks again for all your help buddy :wink:

Anonymous
Not applicable

No problems !  Glad things are working ok for you now :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi all,

I just want to add an amendment to one of my previous posts above. Previously I made this comment:

The only downside I can find so far is that streaming iTunes to my receiver still does not support gapless playback. I think this is due to the limitations of the receiver as opposed to iHomeServer.

I wish Sony would fix this annoyance in an update, it's the most irritating thing about the STR DN1040

Of course I now know that I can also stream my music directly from within iTunes using the 'Airplay' feature negating the need for any additional software such as the iHomeServer mentioned previously.

In fact this method works so well that it now also plays my music as God intended.. 'GAPLESS'!!!   Hooray for small miracles.

I am now truly in love with this amplifier. Heart

Anonymous
Not applicable

ROFL - Give the AV Receiver a kiss - It might give you a nice Zzzzzap !  :grin:

So out of curiousity, is it that iHomeServer that is providing all the additional functionality or is it the Airplay features of iTunes?

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

ROFL indeed! I had to think long and hard about that one, now I feel really old! :worried:

Quite the contrary, I just uninstalled iHomeServer. It's the program you love to hate that's made this system truly rock!

Maybe I can convert you over to iTunes yet, it sure gave me a tickle in pants when I discovered this little beauty! Airplay rocks!

I have my desktop PC in my spare room upstairs and now I can stream iTunes using Airplay directly to my receiver downstairs without even leaving the driving seat.., heck it even turns the receiver on for me. Wicked!

Of course none of this would have been possible without your help earlier in this post, I still needed to tinker with my firewall to get it to play nice.

Here's another lucky star for making me see through all that fog. :clap: Two more and you'll be promoted to head burger flipper in my opinion! :laughing: