Join now - be part of our community!

SVR-HDT500 / SVR-HDT1000 - Duplicate Recordings Issue

SOLVED
Anonymous
Not applicable

SVR-HDT500 / SVR-HDT1000 - Duplicate Recordings Issue

Hello All

For anyone who has these two models HDD Recorders (SVR-HDT500 + SVR-HDT1000) there seems to be an issue when recording.  My mum has one of these boxes and it is recording the same show twice - even though there is only 1 instance in the timer list.

Upon going to the USA Forums, there seems to be others experiencing this issue as well. The people posting on the USA Forums seem to be UK people See:  http://community.sony.com/t5/Home-Theater-Products/Sony-SVR-HDT500-recording-same-programme-twice/td...

I am therefore escalating this issue to SonyUK Support in order for them to provide a resolution.

I would urge those that have this problem to post a reply in this thread.

Thank you all.

183 REPLIES 183
PEEVED23
Explorer

Hi guys, I just phoned Sony and the guy who answered knew immediately what I was talking about and says they are working on a resolution which will be posted to their website when it become available.  He's asked me to ensure I have version 4.21 of the firmware update r8585 and has raised a case for me.  By raising a case he has my email address and will email me of a fix with a link to the software update once it becomes available.  Obviously I don't know how long this will take but judging by his quick response to my "I've got a problem with my freeview recorder.." then I think they are very aware.

As and when I hear anything I will of course post it here.  Also I would advise you all phone them and log a case, the more that do, the quicker they will get the message.  call 0544 846 6555 option 1, then option2.

Feels like something is happening...:smileyhappy:

bearcub1
New

I have exactly the same problems everybody else has reported over the last week. I'm based in Hertfordshire.

Hi All,

Just like to add the the weight of evidence coming down on Sony tha this is not an isolated machine issue. My machine is 4 or so years old and suddenly like the others noted on this thread, started duplicate programme recordings about a week ago.

Sony  - just in case you thinking this is a great way of drumming up much need revenue, no one on this forum will go out and buy a new sony HD recorder. They will go out and buy one of your competitor's HD recorders!

onehitwonder
Explorer

hi my sony has now given up the ghost and just flashes on and off all day, i even switched it over with my humax which  is on an indoor aerial upstairs but still no change and even the reset button is doing nothing....really disappointed..it has to be a sony problem as the humax is working ok and have now put it in its place so when i get one to replace the change over it won't be a sony as they don't seem to be doing anything about the issue..maybe we should contact this morning and get them to investigate OR watchdog as they did when everyone had problems with tumble dryers you never know somebody somewhere knows the reason or the solution besides the obvious

derby-uk

onehitwonder
Explorer

well said although the question is are sony so not business savy to know this already or they simply are not bothered by the number of people with this product to put any dent in the reputation or sales !!!!

derby-uk

largeronald
Explorer

Hi folks,

First of all, please let me apologise for highjacking a sony thread when my PVR is a Digitalstream. However, since last week, EVERY person I know who has a DS PVR has started experiencing similar problems to yours - the AVforums DS thread shows loads.

Could I please ask everyone posting about these problems to phone Digital UK on 03456 505050 (no doubt they will assure you that you are the first person to tell them about this and try and fob you off with various solutions that will do nothing whatsoever to sort out your problems) or leave a post on their Facebook page - or both.

It is far too concidental that both Sony and Digitalstream (and I hear some Humax as well, although I cannot verify that) should start experiencing exactly the same problems at the same time after years of incident free service. I have no doubt whatsoever that it is the Freeview transmissions that are causing these.

Please get onto Digital UK and give them some grief. Don't let them abdicate responsibility for this - if they succeed there will be thousands of people with pretty much useless pieces of kit through no fault of their own.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @largeronald

I was made aware of the DigitalStream issues yesterday evening, and subsequently passed this info to Sony yesterday as well.

Im not too sure if everyone calling DigitalUK would help, but.... Once Sony investigates what the actual issue is, they have direct contact with all the broadcasting agencies involved if it is something in the transmission streams/metadata etc - then im sure the correct people will be informed.

At current - I have not heard anything back from Sony in regards to this issue.  However they do need time to investigate the issue at hand.

Cheers

Same issue here in Leicestershire with the Sony PVR. Typical response from 'support' ignoring what I told them and telling me to do what I have already done - which did not work.

It sounds like a major problem so hopefully someone at Sony will be doing something about it as a matter of urgnecy.  

largeronald
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

Thanks for letting me know - hopefully Sony will have enough clout to get DigitalUK to do something about this. The reason I'm asking everyone to phone DigitalUK is because of their high-handed attitude when I reported the problem to them. They said that if indeed there were that many people affected, they would be inundated with calls and mine was the first one they'd had. They repeated this line to at least 3 people I know of who phoned them after I did. They quoted the line again when I told them Sony users also were affected - in essence, they didn't believe me. All through the conversation, they treated me like an idiot, refused to listen to any sort of logic, and attempted to blame everything apart from the likeliest culprit i.e. themselves - I can't think of any other common denominator between the two machines that would make both of them start exhibiting exactly the same symptoms at exactly the same time.

If enough people raise enough of a stink, then they'll have to at least investigate the problem, which to date, they are not willing to do. If Sony can do it on their own, so much the better - my only fear being that DigitalUK provide Sony with a fix (rather than solving the problem at source) leaving DS users high and dry - the company ceased trading some 2 - 3 years ago.

danandlyn
Explorer

My first post in here and I'm experiencing all the above issues,  duplicate recordings, single recordings in multiple parts, missing recordings altogether, timings out I.e starts 5 mins after program or stops 5 minutes earlier!. Getting the unit itself flicker on and off, every time try to fast forward it freezes.  UNit is about 4 years old and it has latest r.8585 firmware.  Have done multiple factory resets and disk maintenance checks.  The only thing that gets any response when it starts to play up is pullingbthe power out for about a minute then plugging back in.  I'm in Norfolk.

I have also also emailed Sony support and this was the respinse I got:

Thank you for contacting Sony support regarding your SVR-HDT500, we are sorry to learn that you are experiencing issues with the recording.

In regards to your enquiry, please note that in an attempt to resolve this issue you may need to unplug the device from the power mains for 60 seconds then plug it back in. In addition to the above, you may need to reset the player as follows:

-Press “System menu” .
-Select “Other Settings”.
-Select “Factory Settings”.

Also, please make sure that the player has the latest software update, please check the following link:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-tvhc/sony-svrhdt500-hdt1000-firmware-update-v8...

If the issue persisted, you may locate the nearest service center for repair on the following link:

http://services.sony.co.uk/support/en/repair/asc

Should you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to reply back to this email.

Your sincerely,

Amr