Join now - be part of our community!

Accents on letters in foreign words

profile.country.GB.title
bakerpgw
New

Accents on letters in foreign words

I often write in English and in French on my Xperia L4 phone. I can switch between the qwerty and azerty keyboards. With both keyboards, I can write French words that have accents, but some accents disappear when I press 'send'. For example, I can send é and è, but not ê. I can send à but not á nor â. I cannot sent ï. Strangely, when I try to send ç it sends Ç (ie the capital not the small letter. All this is very annoying, and although I have searched through the keyboard settings, I cannot find how to correct this. (I have typed this on my PC not my phone, which I why the accents appear correctly).

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

To begin with; have you installed both French and English on your phone?

I mean are you using Google keyboard with installed languages French and English?

It makes life easier when you do so.

Je suis désolé pour vous.

J'ai installé la langue française afin d'expérimenter. Tentative, commerçant, bâtiment, ça va de soi, naïf, tête, cinquième, oublié, peut être un peu désespéré?

Tout écrivé avec clavier français. (AZERTY)

é, è, ê, à, á, â, ï, ç, Ç

Typed on my phone.

I'm astonished how good word correction is functioning these days.

profile.country.GB.title
bakerpgw
New

Yes, I have installed both French and English on my phone. The strange thing is that this problem affects some accents but not all of them, and although all accents that I type in 'Messages' (sms) are visible in the text when I type them, some of the accents disappear when I press 'send' and are not received by the recipient.