Join now - be part of our community!

Sony TV has come back from repair worse than it was.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Chris_20a
Visitor

Sony TV has come back from repair worse than it was.

Hi,

My Sony Bravia 40” developed a faulty pixel line fault, so I sent it away under the extended insurance to a Sony repairer.  The LCD panel has been replaced, so the original fault has gone.  Now, however, though the image looks fine with most shots, there is a multiple image problem with panning shots or moving text – basically with any movement beyond a certain speed.  Here’s two examples of moving text which show the problem most clearly:

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2760/img0004eo.jpg

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1414/img0012ev.jpg

This happens with TV and with Blurays of films and TV progs.  I have phoned the engineers, but they say that there is nothing they can do as the new panels from Sony are just not as good as the old ones they replace - it’s something they have noticed on many TVs.  I cannot at present get them to give a report to the insurance company to get a new panel because they can’t actually say there is a ‘fault’ with the panel, and they also believe another new panel might not be any better anyway.

I have tried calling Sony, but they simply refer me back to the engineers, who in turn refer me back to Sony or the insurers.  I wish I’d just put up with the dead pixels panel now - at least it didn’t give me a headache to watch it.  Anyone else had problems with inferior replacement panels?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Bravia55HX

Hi,

i would take it back again and show them as that is totally unacceptable, you clearly have rights to another replacement panel or a new tv.

have a read of the link below. it usually helps.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/your-rights...

terrac
Visitor

I'd take it back too, that is not acceptable from a new panel IMO.

the original line problem, did it vanish when the main power to the TV was switched off and occasionally re-appear?  If this was the case then the TV did not need a new panel, simply a firmware update to remedy the problem.   If however the line was stuck permanently then yes panel replacement was needed.

Chris_20a
Visitor

thanks for the reply.

The TV was bought on Amazon nearly three years ago, so is no longer under the original guarantee.  However, it is covered by the extended insurance I took out at the time. 

It seems to me the fault lies with the replacement panel that Sony sent out.  The engineers have stated that they have noticed they are not as good.  The problem is that the engineers aren't prepared to say that the panel is worse than the previous one, as they don't have that to compare it with; Sony say it is down to the engineers, and the insurance company says it is down to Sony.

terrac
Visitor

ahh no problem.  Some of the 40" bravia's developed a line of stuck pixels that used to vanish when the set powered down, then they would re-appear again at random intervals but always in the same screen area.  Only powering the tv down made it go away.   A simple firmware update solved this problem.

Try to ask to be put in touch with the escalations team at Sony to see if they can help with your problem.

Chris_20a
Visitor

The line appeared every time the TV was switched on, it also grew wider - so it seemed an adjacent line was going too.

Forgot to add:  the engineers said they'd tried updating the software and the line was still there, so that's why they ordered the new panel.

Message was edited by: Chris_20a

Message was edited by: Chris_20a

Chris_20a
Visitor

Thanks for the replies.

How would I go about contacting the Escalation Team?

Chris_20a
Visitor

Well, TV has been returned for the second time, the engineers could find nothing wrong with it.  Took me about ten minutes of watching to see the same problem – buzzing edges with movements across the screen, that weren’t there with the previous panel.  It was much smoother.I had a good TV before I had it 'repaired', now I have a crap one.

Nothing else left to do.  I used to buy everything Sony – TV, VHS player, HDD player, Dvd player and Bluray player.   I won’t be buying anything Sony ever again.