Join now - be part of our community!

Internet Explorer 10 won't install on VPCF11Z1E/Bl laptop

profile.country.en_GB.title
stchamp47
Explorer

Internet Explorer 10 won't install on VPCF11Z1E/Bl laptop

When I tried to update my IE9 browser to IE10 via the usual Windows Update procedure, it failed to install and I had to revert to IE9.  My OS in Windows 7 64 bit.  My laptop in a VPCF11Z1E/Bl.  When, after rebooting, I tried to load the IE10 browser, nothing happened.  Not even when I went to the exe file itself and clicked on it.  Just dead.  Any ideas or advice?

11 REPLIES 11
stchamp47
Explorer

Just to let the group know that I have had a reply from Sony about the failure of my Sony VAIP laptop to accept the IE10 browser udate.  Here is their reply:

=================================

Thank you for contacting Sony  We are sorry to read of the issue you are encountering with upgrading your IE9.

In response to your query, we would advise you that you should get in touch with Microsoft regarding this issue as it has to do with their software download.

================================

I assume that this problem is caused by the hybrid graphics used on my VPCF11Z1EI Sony VAIO laptop.  I had hoped that Sony would investigate and  get involved in sorting this out with Microsoft on behalf of their customers.

Steve

stchamp47
Explorer

Sony will not help.  Microsoft will not help.  As a result, I own a Sony VAIO laptop VPCF11Z1E bought in 2010 whose Windows 7 OS cannot be upgraded, its Windows IE browser cannot be updated beyond version 9, and its Sony Care Update corrupts its own program.  Because it needs a new video driver to cope with its hybrid graphics configuration in coping with these new programs.  But there may be a way round these difficulties.  I have downloaded Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and this Linux distribution, which claims to address the hybrid graphics issue, seems promising.  It is too early for me to be sure but it does seem to be stable and to work without requiring much familiarity with Linux on my VPCF11Z1E Sony laptop.

I hope this may help others with the same problem.