Join now - be part of our community!

NumLock is already on at power on

profile.country.en_GB.title
SteptoesHorse
Explorer

NumLock is already on at power on

I bought a new laptop SVE 1512 W1E less than 4 weeks ago and having left it alone for 3 days, picked up this afternoon to find that I can't sign in. It appears to be something to do with the machine making it's own mind up and selecting that I wanted NumLk on as the LED is already on. It wasn't on when I put the machine down after use.

Anyone have an idea as to how to resolve this problem?

Regards

SteptoesHorse

Message was edited by: SteptoesHorse

4 REPLIES 4
SteptoesHorse
Explorer

Anyone able to give me an idea as to how to deal with this problem.

It's presenting a big obstruction as I can't sign in with the laptop.

Regards

SteptoesHorse

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi SteptoesHorse and welcome.

There must be a way to fix this - I'll have a look later when I have a bit more time if nobody else knows the answer off the top of their head.

As short term fix, can't you press the NumLk key before trying to sign in?

:thinking:

SteptoesHorse
Explorer

Blencogo, thanks very much for your reponse... you would have received this some hours ago, but I've had problems with replying for some reason!!!

Anyway I tried your idea of holding the NumLk button down before turning the laptop on and it didn't resolve the issue, sadly.

However I returned it to the supplier and they had a go at ridding it of illuminated LED without success and are replacing it with a new machine, they said they've not seen this one before and it looked like a hardware problem. Can't complain with their response at all.

Regards

SteptoesHorse

SteptoesHorse
Explorer

Not too sure about this... I went to collect the replacement laptop yesterday and would you believe that the 1st thing I noticed was that the NumLk LED was on from turning on. So is this how it should behave, the difference between the 1st laptop is you can turn it off by simply pressing the NumLk btn.

Does anyone think that there might be a batch of production that all show this problem?

I've had a VGN-NR21M/S for over 3 years and it has never shown the NumLk LED illuminated and then I've had to turn it off. The only difference with SVE1512W1E the 1st one, is that you couldn't turn it off, but the with the replacement you can... mind you I've not had it for 24hrs as yet!

I'm either concerned that there might be a problem with the 2nd (replacement) or there's something I ought to know, that I don't! Should I go on a course :thinking: !!!

Regards

SteptoesHorse

Message was edited by: SteptoesHorse