Join now - be part of our community!

Where the heck is the WKB1 Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Driver?

CJSnet
Visitor

Where the heck is the WKB1 Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Driver?

Typical Sony confusing products.

I purchased the VGP-WKB1 Wireless Mouse/Keyboard combo as seen here:
http://tinyurl.com/5lmmp

The specs on the box say it will work with all Sony VAIO laptops/desktops with XP pre-installed, except the LX series. That's fine, I have the VGN-FE790 laptop bought this January.

The instructions say that when you connect the RF Receiver, the system will install the driver.

No, it won't! It doesn't recognise the driver, no disc or instructions about a disc are included, and the driver is not anywhere on Sony's driver download website.

If anyone can unravel the mystery of what every other manufacturer manages to make completely straightforward that would be much appreciated!

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.en_GB.title
zero5uk
Explorer

Hi all

I have the LA1 with a built in RF receiver. How fussy are these keyboards in terms of that? Should any RF receiver enable a connection. I also have the WKB1 which won't connect.

CJSnet, can you elaborate in idiotproofing how you sorted it - I don't really get what you mean by let it search 5 times, is this to do with manually adding the driver or just searching c:\windows\inf?

Cheers

Daniel

CJSnet
Visitor

Okay all I did in XP was choose a location to search for the driver, then specify /windows/inf. I had to do this 5 times as the device I use has 5 different drivers.

However I only had to do this due to a problem with my XP installation. Automatic driver detection apparently normally works fine, and now I have Vista it all happened automatically with no probs.

HTH

profile.country.en_GB.title
zero5uk
Explorer

Cheers CJ

Well, I checked all the drivers Blencogo listed and they are all present, so I guess the keyboard just isn't compatible.

Sony e-support emailed my case today though and are shipping out a new keyboard - pretty impressed with the service, though I did give them an earful on how appalling and disappointing it is to get a lovely new machine such as the LA1 and not be able to use it!

I'm currently using a budget chinese made keyboard - all the keys are the same size!!! Talk about infuriating, imagine a delete and shift key the size as the letter keys!

So you're liking Vista then? I've got media edition 05 which I assume has functions of Vista in it.

please drive from wkb12