Join now - be part of our community!

windows cannot be installed

profile.country.en_GB.title
lovepreet.singh
Visitor

windows cannot be installed

when i start my laptop it displaces a mesg that windows cannot be installed. have my windows corrupted ? how can i use assist feature of sony vaio to recover the windows ?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi lovepreet.singh,

It would be helpful to know your model and operating system.

Depending on which model and operating system you have pressing the Assist button when fully shut down will open a screen displaying various recovery options.

If you are running Widows 8 don’t select ‘Refresh my Computer’ as this will provide a clean install of Windows 8 retaining personal files, but without the Sony software, utilities, drivers and third party software. Instead select return to factory settings. This process may take a number of hours and you will lose all personal files.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
lovepreet.singh
Visitor

thanx for reply...

model is VPCEG35EN E series & OS is genuine windows 7 Home Basic 64bit...

lovepreet.singh
Visitor

i have not kept any backup. can i proceed further using ASSIST feature ?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Yes you can proceed using the Assist feature but if you choose a factory reset your computer will be returned to as it was when delivered.

Alternatively tap F8 at boot and then select 'Repair Your Computer' - this will then attempt to repair missing or corrupt Windows system files.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
lovepreet.singh
Visitor

sorry for enquiry for same issue through new heading.

it does not respond when i press F8 or any other function key. so i have only option to go through assist feature.

when i go through assist button to recover window, i have these quiries:-

1) does i need any backup recovery . ( i have not kept any recovery before )

2) it asks for data rescue. i does not need to data rescue, so if i would skip data rescue operation, do it damage the window files also or not ? please tell me that can i recover windows without data rescue?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

If the function keys are not responding at boot you possibly have greater problems than just corrupt Windows operating files.

If you have no backup of data and need to retain these for a later recovery I suggest that you attempt the backup to an external device. If you choose to skip this part you will be taken to ‘recovery’. This procedure should return your notebook to as delivered assuming that there are no hardware problems.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
lovepreet.singh
Visitor

i have conducted hardware cheking test with available software. Is this test reliable to assure healthy hardware ?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Not having knowledge of the diagnostic software you have used I really can’t comment on that.

I suggest you try the recovery anyway.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat