Join now - be part of our community!

NWZ-W273 - How to enable AVLS?

GammyKnee
New

NWZ-W273 - How to enable AVLS?

I'm having trouble enabling AVLS on my W273. I've followed (I think) the instructions in the online manual:

link

..but no sign of the orange confrimation light. I've tried holding down vol + first then holding >> for 5 secs, holding donw >> then + for 5 secs, and holding down >> while repeatedly pressing vol +, but still no joy.

Is AVLS actually on the European models given that they already have an audible warning? Am I missing something?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi GammyKnee and welcome to the Comunity :slight_smile:

I haven't been able to find anything else apart from those instructions.

Did you buy them in the UK?

GammyKnee
New

Hi Jumpsuit! Yep bought in the UK.

There's a note in the online manual about special behavior for models built to European directives: a beep and verbal warning sounds when the volume passes a certain level. Maybe that replaces the AVLS in those models.

Eiither way not a big deal, but I've contacted Sony support and I'll follow up on here if they give me an answer.

profile.country.en_GB.title
daknightuk
Explorer

I have just bought another one, I'm on my 3rd now.

Didn't know about the AVLS function on the other 2 but this one is far quieter so I read the manual and found out all about it but when i actually try and follow the instructions I get the same response as you. I know it limits the volume every 20 hours with an audible "check the volume level" but the instructions from sony are poor anyway as >> could be << depending on how you hold the unit. I think they may just have got the instructions wrong.

GammyKnee
New

^^^ interesting.

I did get a reply from Sony support, but it boiled down to just "press the reset", which made no difference (TBH I wasn't expecting it to - I think my unit is performing to spec, it's just that the manual doesn't necessarily reflect what that spec is).

Still, not a big deal because the sound quality is good and I'm loving not having to muck about with armbands and wires anymore.

profile.country.en_GB.title
daknightuk
Explorer

The sony manual is not good for making this clear.

I pointed this out to their tech support who just said "we don't write the manuals"

So please refer to my quick guide (in the picture on this post)

If this doesn't work reset your W273 using the reset button, hold it in for 10 seconds.

An iphone sim ejection tool is ideal for doing this.

If this does not fix your issue then your W273 is faulty and should be returned to the retailer for an exchange or refund

howtoavls.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Thanks for the update daknightuk.  :slight_smile:

Would be interesting to see if this works for others.