Join now - be part of our community!

Why bother with a 32 GB model over a 16 GB?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
hip_hop_rob
Explorer

Why bother with a 32 GB model over a 16 GB?

Can anyone tell me if I have got this wrong. If a16GB SD card cost  just c£15, why bother with a 32 GB over 16 GB model s1 tablet which cost £100 more?

Message was edited by: hip_hop_rob

Message was edited by: hip_hop_rob

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The main reason to buy a 32GB model is that the S1 cannot directly access content on a SD Card.  All content must first be copied to the internal memory before it can be viewed.

Consequently, SD cards cannot by used to actually increase the Tablet's memory.

:wink:

View solution in original post

ste161
Visitor

I got my 32GB SD card today and popped it in, the sony file transfer software popped up straight away and it allows me to copy to the SD card and from the SD card to internal memory.

you can access the additional SD card and open files from it directly, i tried this with the green hornet trailer, transferring it to the additional SD ard then playing it with the Sony media player without any problems.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Well one reason is it makes the 16GB version affordable for anyone with iPad money ready to spend. Not everyone is going to want or need to use the expandable memory.

My issue is that the SD slot, I prefer to keep free since I can use that to import photos from my card on photoshoots. I rather keep SD card as a backup or if im moving files about rather than dependable storage. Especially since memory cards are more prone to data corruption but then again, long term effects of flash memory are still to be predicted.

So with having 32GB internal, that is enough space for a good few movies, my music collection and photos (some photo shoots end up going up to 30GB worth). More handy than a laptop which is why I bought a 1st gen iPad but hate the camera connection kit.    

hip_hop_rob
Explorer

Thanks watashiwateshdes,

I understand why Sony have opted for a 16 GB, I was just asking, as the extra  £100 Sony are asking, can get you 6.666 X 16 GB SD cards.  That is equivalent to just over 100 GB of storage rather than the added 16 GB available through the internal upgrade.

Obviously how robust SD cards are to being corrupted is something I am no expert on, hence the reason why I posted this for others to deliberate on.   Or as shakespear might put it,   "To upgrade or not upgrade, that is the storage card conundrum!"

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The main reason to buy a 32GB model is that the S1 cannot directly access content on a SD Card.  All content must first be copied to the internal memory before it can be viewed.

Consequently, SD cards cannot by used to actually increase the Tablet's memory.

:wink:

hip_hop_rob
Explorer

Thanks Blencoco.  That completely changes things.  I hadn't realised there was no direct access.  So 32 GB it is then....

Now all I need advice on is,do i use my HTC desire's wifi hotspot capabilities or wait and go for the 3g vesion being released in October?

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Well considering you already have 3G capabilities on your phone and the ability to wifi hot spot, I would say go for the non 3G unless you plan to have heavy data use whilst out and about and need a seperate plan? I suppose wifi hot spot can drain phone batteries quite quickly depending on your brand so tough call.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

The battery of my PALM would be empty within an hour.

Well, let's connect my phone to the tablet via bluetooth. Any chance to get internet access like on my PC or MAC?

-----sorry for hijacking the thread-----

colveal
Visitor

not sure if that's entirely correct. In one of the videos at the IFA on youtube when the presenter used the file transfer app it gave the option to open or copy a file on the SD card.

truffled
Visitor

Can I throw in my twopenneth - just to confuse.

Half the sites say it is for transfering data only, the other half say it can be used to expand memory so

I telephoned a Sony Centre today to try and clarify - 'as its an SD card slot, it will do both'

PLEASE, PLEASE Sony confirm exactly what the sd card does or does not do.

mazurkal
Visitor

I have read that to use the content of the SD card if it has to be downloaded to the Sony Tablet's internal memory, hence the need for 32GB. I don't now if this is correct but it would explain the premium you have to pay for the 32GB over 16GB.

If this is so, the SD slot has limited use.......puts me off! Can anyone confirm or otherwise?

SORRY!...missed Blecogo's reply.  But, can anything be transferred to the SD card from the tablet?

What exactly can the SD card be used for?

Message was edited by: mazurkal