Join now - be part of our community!

Auto brightness goes too dim when ambient light is low

Sunking1011
Contributor

Auto brightness goes too dim when ambient light is low

In the pitch black of night I find that the auto brightness on minimum is fine but sadly in low light conditions the auto brightness also defaults to minimum and the screen is just too dark.

Is there any way to calibrate the auto brightness so that the minimum setting isn't zero? Unless I'm in either a very bright situation or a pitch black one, my screen is way too dim.
19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

There isn't BUT you can pull down the notification bar and change the brightness. 

Sunking1011
Contributor

Yeah I've been doing that but it kinda defeats the purpose of 'auto' brightness. There are just so many little annoyances with this phone.
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

Don't forget to send your feedback to Sony >>> Local support

Korben-Dallas
Visitor

@Sunking101 wrote:
Yeah I've been doing that but it kinda defeats the purpose of 'auto' brightness.

No, it doesn't.

In Android 6, when your phone is working in "Auto brightness" mode, the brightness slider does not override the "auto" setting. It simply fine-tunes it. By manually moving the brightness slider you tuning the "auto" mode to your preferences. You are basically telling the phone to stay in "auto" mode, but be brighter or dimmer than the default "midpoint" setting.

In previous versions of Android, trying to manually move the brightness slider would immediately disable the "auto" mode. That did indeed defeat the purpose of "auto" brighness. But not in the modern Android. In modern Android "auto" mode and brightness slider work in concert.

So, if you believe that the default "auto" brighness gets too dim in the dark, just move the slider to the right until you like it better. You are not defeating "auto" brighness by doing this, you are simply fine-tuning "auto" brighness algorithm to better fit your preferences.

Sunking1011
Contributor

Auto means auto, ie no user input required. My iPhones managed the screen brightness perfectly without my intervention...
Korben-Dallas
Visitor

@Sunking101 wrote:
Auto means auto, ie no user input required. My iPhones managed the screen brightness perfectly without my intervention...

"Auto" with fine-tuning access is always better than "auto" without fine-tuning access. There will never be any "auto" that works out of the box with "no user input required", since there will always be people who'd prefer it to work slightly differently (or a lot differently).

If you are happy with the way your iPhone manages brightness "with no user input" - good for you. It means that you belong to the subset of people who happen to be happy with the hardcoded iPhone "auto" brightness setings. But that's not everyone.

ikramkhasim
Visitor

I've had the same issue. Every time it gets to minimum when I don't want it to, I use the slider. But it still goes back to minimum every time. How do I tune it then?
Liamg91
Visitor

Hi
My screen keeps dimming and brightening over and over again constantly when I have screen brightness set on between 100% to approx 75%
I've got adaptive brightness off.

Thanks
Liamg91
Visitor

PS no protective film or screen and no cover.