Join now - be part of our community!

Bdp-s5100 hdd help

profile.country.GB.title
parusht60
Explorer

Bdp-s5100 hdd help

i cant get the above player to recongnize my 500gb hdd,ive formatted it to fat32 but still it wont work

any ideas

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I just checked HERE that a 500GB HDD using FAT32 is indeed supported.  However Sony does state in its manual that not all USB HDD devices are supported (usual disclaimer...). 

Do you have this HDD connected to a USB Hub by any chance? At this stage, I can only suggest to remove all partitions on the HDD and create another one and format it again to FAT32.  Basically start again.  Its worth a try anyhow.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
parusht60
Explorer

hi,tried all that but none of it worked,im wondering if the usb cant power the hdd?

thanks for the advice

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

General rule of thumb - if is a smaller portable 2.5" HDD, then USB power is fine.  The normal 3.5" needs mains powered.  Western Digital (WD) HDDs have proven more compatible with Sony equipment than other brands.

Other than that, I can refer this thread to Sony Support on your behalf and see if they have any suggestions if you want.  But they may just turn around with that standard disclaimer as I mentioned above.  Let me know if you want me to do that.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
parusht60
Explorer

it is  a small 2.52 usb so if you could forward it to sony suport thats great

thanks for your help

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have escalated this thread to Sony Support - Please ensure that you have correct contact details in your "My Sony" account profile.

Cheers