Join now - be part of our community!

No Amazon Video app on Sony BDP-S4500 in Romania (service is available ...)

profile.country.RO.title
ionutmai
Explorer

No Amazon Video app on Sony BDP-S4500 in Romania (service is available ...)

Hi,

I have a Sony BDP-S4500 and a valid Amazon Prime Video subscription (I live in Romania and yes Prime Video is available), yet I do not see the Amazon Video app on my blu-ray player. I know for sure that this player is compatible with the Amazon Prime Video (I've seen screenshots from reviews in Europe) and Prime Video has started its service in Romania since last year so I do not understand why Sony does not make this available here. Netflix is working perfectly by the way. Then where is the problem? Is there a lack of interest from Sony in updating this blu-ray player model? I was about to upgrade to BDP-S6700 for the dual-core processor but with only 1 of 2 streaming services available for Romania on this device (only Netflix but not Amazon) I will probably need to check other suppliers like LG or Panasonic.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Can you please try adding the following DNS servers to the network settings on the BDP-S4500

• Primary DNS = 8.8.8.8
  • Secondary DNS = 8.8.4.4

See instructions:

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36641/

I am also seeking confirmation from Sony that the Amazon Video app is definately available from the BDP-S4500 and in Romania too.  Will get back to you once I get an answer.

Cheers

profile.country.RO.title
ionutmai
Explorer

Thanks a lot for your quick feedback. I will try the DNS settings in the morning and revert with a resolution if its's working or not. Thing is that I can connect from Wii U and PS3 with their Amazon Video apps but they do not match the image quality of BDP-S4500. Tested for Netflix on both devices and even on an Nvidia Shield TV vs the Sony blu-ray player and for my eyes is a night and day difference. When watching Frontier was as I was just looking to another movie, superb colors on BDP-S4500.

profile.country.RO.title
ionutmai
Explorer

Hi,

Regarding availability of Amazon Video app for BDP-S4500 please see below the confirmation from a trusted reviewer:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-bdp-s4500-photos-6

Problem is that although the service is now available in Romania, Sony is blocking the app from appearing in the list of available apps probably based on region settings. I think it's a lack of interest on Sony Romania side who practically ignores the fact that Amazon Video is available in our country and the device already supports a dedicated app. Only thing that is needed is that they unblock it from appearing in the list of apps on the main screen.

profile.country.RO.title
ionutmai
Explorer

Hi,

I have checked your DNS settings but with no success, Amazon Video app still does not appear. What I have noticed though when I was performing a system update is that the file has RO (from Romania) in its description meaning that is specifically made for our country so it seems that Sony Ro were too lazy to unblock the AmaOn app for us. Do you have any news on your side?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Afternoon

I have confirmed with Sony that Amazon Video is not available on Bluray players for Romania.  Amazon Video on Sony Bluray players is only available in UK, Germany and Austria.  This is unlikely to change at this moment in time.

My only other suggestion is for you to contact Sony in Romania (as well as Amazon Romania) and express your interest in having this.  After all, the more people who do so, the more likely it will happen in future.

I am sorry that I cannot give you better news.

Cheers