Join now - be part of our community!

Correct 4K settings and connection DN-STR860

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
guitarman60

Correct 4K settings and connection DN-STR860

I've just got my shiny new Sony av amp and I'm wondering about a couple of things. Firstly, should the 4K setting in the HDMI setting section be set to off or auto?  I'm currently connecting with all my equipment into the amp and a single high speed HDMI cable in to the ARC socket on my Sony 55". 8507C. I've tried it both ways and it might be my imagination but picture quality seems better with the setting placed at Auto. Would I gain further benefit y cabling in all my sources separately?  I have:  a Sky Cable / Satellite box, A Sony Bluray player and an Apple TV. Other sources are dealt with by the TV itself. I'm pretty happy with the sound and picture quality but I thought the amp would automatically recognise the TV as being 4K which it is but although the amp appears on my home screen I'm not sure that it is. As usual I will be guided by you all here. My go to rescource!  I could cable the amp to ARC and the other stuff in separate sockets if it's deemed to be better. I doubt it makes much difference, but the setup includes a pair of Auna Linie 280W floor standers, and Yamaha sub, Yamah centre and surround. As usual, thanks in advance. 

Jeff

Jeffrey Cooper
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guitarman60 wrote:

To clarify, is it best practice to have the amp in HDMI 4 which is the ARC input on its own, and then connect cable box, bluray player and Apple TV directly to the tv, or can I connect them to the amplifiers HDMI inputs?

The simple answer is yes.  Where possible, connect devices directly to AV Receiver.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

My advice it to leave it as 'Auto' - as if/when you connect a 4K device to the STR-DN860, you may forget that this setting is turned off and wonder why 4K pass-through isnt working.  More information about this setting can be found : HERE

If at all possible, I would wire most things to the AV Receiver, especially the bluray player as it will give you the higher-quality audio such as DTS-HDMA and Dolby True HD, where-as having them connected to the TV, you would not get this.

Your TV is 4K, however it needs to be fed a 4K signal (i.e. a 4K video) for 4K to really work.  Otherwise it will just upscale another resolution to 4K.  However I dont really understand your question to be honest.

If you have a device that is HDR (i.e. PS4 Pro) then the advice is to connect it directly to the TV, as the STR-DN860 cannot pass-through a HDR Signal.

The AV Receiver should be connected to the TV via the ARC port.  Otherwise if you use Freeview or the apps on the TV, then audio will not output to the AV Receiver - only the TV speakers.

Cheers

PS: A small hint - its much easier for forum members to read posts if they are separated into paragraphs or if multiple questions use bullet points etc.  :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
guitarman60

Thanks. I do get true Dolby output the way I currently have the setup wired. 

If it needs be I can wire things in deprecatory as you suggest. Better get me some more quality HDMI cables!

Jeffrey Cooper
profile.country.GB.title
guitarman60

Typo there!  Not deprecatory. 😀

Jeffrey Cooper
profile.country.GB.title
guitarman60

To clarify, is it best practice to have the amp in HDMI 4 which is the ARC input on its own, and then connect cable box, bluray player and Apple TV directly to the tv, or can I connect them to the amplifiers HDMI inputs?

thanks

jeff

Jeffrey Cooper
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guitarman60 wrote:

The simple answer is yes.  Where possible, connect devices directly to AV Receiver.