Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN840 Network Problem

Harrywillis

STR-DN840 Network Problem

I use AirPlay on my STR-DN840 over wifi and it worked well, with the occasional loss of connection, but reconnected again. 

Recently, I was watching the amp when the music stopped and the little wii / network symbol (button l/h side of display)  went out. It as not worked since. I cannot get the network connection to work, either with wifi or hard wired Ethernet. When I go to Home / Settings / Network it just shows a screen sayin "Please wait" and nothing happens. 

Everything else on he unit sees to work, but despite resetting it, and my router, I cannot get a network connection. Please help, I miss my music!

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Can you try setting a fixed IP address and using Googles DNS Servers of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - this has had some success on other devices.

DN840.jpg

Cheers

Harrywillis

Thank you for the reply. 

I assume you you mean to set a fixed IP address in the STR-DN840 Network Settings? That is a big part if the problem, because I cannot access the menu - when I select Home / Network Settings, the screen shows "Please wait" and nothing else.  I am unable to access or change any network settings. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohhhh - So thats what you meant :slight_smile:

Which therefore means you cant check to ensure that Network Standby is switched on - as its in the network settings area..

I know you mentioned that you reset it, can you confirm if you used these instructions?  If you did, it sound more serious (i.e. hardware fault) and i'll escalate it to Sony Support for their assistance.

DN840 - Factory Reset.jpg

Cheers

Harrywillis

Thanks again for reply. 

Yeah. Tried the factory reset but it did not give me access to the Network Settings. 

I did log log the fault with Sony, and had a reply saying they were going to ring me at home last Monday, but so far, I've not had a call or response. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have escalated this thread to Sony, they should be in contact with you in the next day or two.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Harrywillis

You have probably not received a response by Sony.  Unfortunately the system that links the forums (My Sony) to Sony's customer support is not working currently - hence they cannot find any details to contact you with.  Can you please send me a private message with either a phone number and/or email address for which I will pass onto Sony.

If you are not happy doing so, you will need to contact Sony via:
http://services.sony.co.uk/supportmvc/en/Contact/Email

Cheers

Harrywillis

Hi. I have heard from Sony, in several emails, where they keep trying to get me to follow Page no of the manual to reset the receiver, or my router. Having tried all these things, I believe I need more technical help and have asked Sony to ring me tomorrow at some point, when I can be at home with the receiver to go through any disnoatics they can help with. I just hope they do ring me. 

I think the the emails I have exchanged with Sony are a result of my logging the problem directly with Sony, but I appreciate your involvement and I hope there's a resolution soon as I need my music through the amp! 

Harrywillis

Well that was weird. Someone from Sony rang me, to tell me that they are going to ring me back on Friday. No diagnostics or checks at all. Not sure whats going on or why they couldn't do whatever they want to do on Friday, today. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Umm, thats interesting and weird at the same time...  Im confused as much as you on that one.  See what happens on Friday.

Thanks for the update.