Join now - be part of our community!

unable to connect to server on bdps7200

SOLVED
ben.stewart1983
Explorer

unable to connect to server on bdps7200

Unable to access Internet content through the bdps7200 even though I am connected to the Internet.  I am however able to use the Web browser. When trying to do a software update a message appears saying unable to communicate with server. And when pressing the Netflix button on the remote it searches  for network connection then nothing please help someone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ben.stewart1983
Explorer

Thank you for your advice and for pointing me in the right direction. I am pleased to say I now have full Internet access. I managed to do this by reseting the bdp and and starting the network settings from the begging. I went through the custom set up of the ipv4 setting but did not use the ipv6. In the ipv4 settings I selected auto on every option (eg. IP address and dns server) but do not use a proxy server. I first did this with a wired connection then switched to wireless and all seems to be working well

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Try setting the DNS in the network setting of your BDP to a different value (preferred 8.8.8.8 google public DNS)

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@ben.stewart1983

I get this problem quite a lot myself however my issue is usually caused by my powerline adapters disconnecting. I use powerline adapters to relay my network connection all over the house through the mains supply.

What solves it for me is either try what @rooobb has already suggested or reset your router. You can usually find a little button on the router somewhere which you have to press with a pin for reset to work. If you have a manual for your router it might explain this in more detail. 

Additionally you could try resetting your BDP-S7200 and try connecting to the network again.

Here's how:

1. On the HOME menu of your BDP player scroll left until you reach the SETUP (Toolbox Icon) then scroll all the way down that list until you see 'RESETTING' 

2. Follow the on-screen prompts to reset your device. You can either reset individual features such as Networking or select ALL settings. If you select the later you will be prompted to setup your bluray player again as if it were new. Resetting can solve lots of strange symptoms but it doesn't always solve them permanently!

Reset takes just a few seconds and will display a message saying 'RESET COMPLETE'

Come back if you need more help.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
ben.stewart1983
Explorer

Thank you for your advice and for pointing me in the right direction. I am pleased to say I now have full Internet access. I managed to do this by reseting the bdp and and starting the network settings from the begging. I went through the custom set up of the ipv4 setting but did not use the ipv6. In the ipv4 settings I selected auto on every option (eg. IP address and dns server) but do not use a proxy server. I first did this with a wired connection then switched to wireless and all seems to be working well

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@ben.stewart1983

Hi Ben, I'm glad the advice to reset helped you! Like I said before.., resetting does solve most problems but no doubt you'll have to do that again at some point in the future. The reset feature is pretty useful for these kind of issues.

If you want to set the DNS Server setting to Googles [8.8.8.8] and alternate to [8.8.4.4] you can go back into the settings and edit them manually.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
anoraknophobe
Explorer

I'm afraid I have the same/similar issue with a BDP-S5500 in that I can connect to everything apart from Netflix.  Unfortunately, this solution still didn't fix things for me.

Tried everything...spent hours on phone...about to give up and return the unit I think.  Unless anyone can help?????

Tags (2)
profile.country.GB.title
iablaby
Explorer

Can't connect to server ; network connection ok.

How do I access the DNS address in the network setting of my BDPS5200?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@iablaby wrote:

Can't connect to server ; network connection ok.

How do I access the DNS address in the network setting of my BDPS5200?

Hi @iablaby

See:

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36641/

Cheers