Join now - be part of our community!

250g hard drive has only 170g usable. why?

tonyglover9
Visitor

250g hard drive has only 170g usable. why?

my new sony fw11m with blue ray player has a hard drive capacity of 250g, I know you loose some to recovery,system and program files but a total of 80g is a bit over the top. can any one point me in the direction of where the missing drive capacity is? I have only a small amount of music and photos stored.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Tony and welcome.

Three reasons for the missing storage: -

1. Vista uses far too much disc space for the System Restore Process. Open the Command Prompt (as an administrator) and either type in or copy and paste this command: -

vssadmin list shadowstorage

It will show you how much is allocated. Google for a method to reduce this amount - it is not quite as simple as with XP.

2. Your Recovery Software is on your Hard Disc. If you look in Computer Management -> Disc Management you will see a Recovery Partition using 7 to 10 GB.

3. Windows cannot count! Because Windows uses the binary system, the nearest it can get to 1,000 bytes (a kilobyte) is 1,024 bytes - calculated as two to the power ten (2^10=1024). So it uses 1024 bytes of your storage to count a kilobyte. Similarly, it counts 1,024 KB as 1MB and 1,024MB to get 1GB. This means your operating system is counting 1,073,741,824 bytes (2^30=1073741824) of your storage as 1 GB. Windows measures your 250GB drive as only 232GB.

EDIT: Just found this link which looks good: -

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/reduce-system-restores-disk-usage-in-vista/

:wink:

tonyglover9
Visitor

hello blencogo. thanks for the info. i will check out want you have told me, it all sounds good. i was a little bothered that i may have had a virus or some one controlling my laptop. thanks again.