Join now - be part of our community!

No Operating System

profile.country.en_GB.title
atsafedepth
Visitor

No Operating System

Hi All,

I am in need of some advice, I have been getting the BSOD for a couple of months up till the last weekend when the Laptop crashed. I tried to recover but to no avail and now it just says "no operating system" It basically wont do anything now.

So i brought a new copy of Windows 7 Professional but that wont load either do i need a new HDD? and if so it it as simple as putting the new HDD in and reloading Windows 7?

I have no recovery discs and Sony support haven't answered my emails!!!

Any advice welcome

Paul

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Paul and welcome.

It is a pity you did not make a set of Recovery Discs - these are designed to be used in the event of a HDD failure.

It does seem likely that your hard drive has failed but it would have been useful to know what the blue screens said.

When you turn the Vaio on you should see a Vaio Logo splash screen. If you press F2 repeatedly, you should see the BIOS screen.  Does the BIOS recognise the hard drive?

As to the way forward, please give us your Vaio Model (it should be on the screen surround) and when it was bought (to see if it is within warranty) and someone will help further.

profile.country.en_GB.title
firionicable
Visitor

As far as I know, Vaio always has a secondary function where you can recover your laptop via BIOS. It is like having a Vaio Control Care within your BIOS and you can easily manage to recover your system. Once you do so, try to create a recovery disc for future use.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

firionicable wrote:

As far as I know, Vaio always has a secondary function where you can recover your laptop via BIOS. It is like having a Vaio Control Care within your BIOS and you can easily manage to recover your system. Once you do so, try to create a recovery disc for future use.

@firionicable or whatever your name is today.

Well, you obviously know nothing about Vaios.  Do you actually have one or are you just wanting to spam this forum with misleading rubbish?

If you don't know the answer, please don't post unhelpful and potentially harmful spam just for the sake of it.  You may cause a lot of damage to someone's computer.

All the recovery software is held in a hidden partition on the hard drive.  If the HDD has been replaced, as in this case, then any internal recovery is impossible.

:angry: