Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio - Black Screen

Sony Vaio - Black Screen

I have a Sony Vaio laptop (vpcee2m1e) and I can't seem to boot it up. I turn the laptop on and it makes all the normal sounds it should do when starting up (the fan still works too) but it seems to be frozen on a black screen. Does anyone know what the problem is and more to the point how to fix it? It was working perfectly last night and shut down as normal.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi littlelaroo and welcome.

Do you see nothing during the boot process?  Not even the Vaio Logo before Windows loads?

Is it just the backlight?  To check, can you see the Desktop in the screen with a torch?

Two things you can try.

1. Connect an external monitor to the VGA output - do you still see nothing during the boot process?

2. Try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del when the Vaio has had enough time to boot.  If Task Manager opens this would indicate a corrupt Windows file.

Let us know what happens.

:thinking:

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I see nothing during the boot process. It's just a black screen. All I get is the internal noises I usually get when I switch it on (it's not loading though because I don't hear the noise windows usually makes when it loads).

Not the backlight as far as I can tell. I tried shinning a torch on it and nothing.

I don't have an external monitor to attach mine to. I've also tried pressing ctrl+alt+del and the task manager isn't loading.

It's really perplexing as my laptop was working perfectly last night and now I can't even get it to boot properly. 😞

Thanks again for your reply Blencogo.

I seem to have got it working now. Not sure exactly what I did but I had a play around with a few things (basically hammered a load of F keys lol) and it sprung into life.

profile.country.GB.title
Pradster
New

Hi @Blencogo  I have a problem I hope you can help me with. My sony vaio laptop does not boot. It starts with the vaio logo then when I press any key just the left top side cursor blinking. I can press f2 if I start it again and it takes me to some diagnostic page or whatever it is. Nothing else seems to happen even if I press the other f keys. Can you help me please. Thanks pradster.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey littlelaroo, thank you for updating the thread, please mark it as resolved. 

@Pradster, what's the model number of your laptop? Did you try to run the recover?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Pradster and welcome.

Sounds like your Vaio is booting OK but then cannot find your Windows Operating System. Several things to try:-

1. It is trying to boot from a device other than the Hard Drive. Remove all CD/DVDs from the drive also disconnect any USB devices.

2. Your hard drive may have expired or become disconnected. When you boot, press F2 and look through the BIOS pages. Look for HDD and check it recognises the hard drive and doesn't say 'Not Present'.

3. Have you changed anything recently in your hard drive partitions? It may be looking in the wrong partition for the OS..

4. A hardware fault on the main board.

Sadly, the most common fault is the hard drive. You can try a Recovery but this is the last resort.

As HannahEd01 has asked, it is always helpful to give your Vaio model as age and configuration could be different.for each model.

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @Pradster, keep us updated with the outcome to the above steps and also the laptop model number. :slight_smile: